cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I migrate the Dropbox folder on my Carbon Copy Cloner backup disc or not?

Should I migrate the Dropbox folder on my Carbon Copy Cloner backup disc or not?

keg1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

My old laptop was stolen. I've been accessing all my files on a loaner computer via Dropbox with no issues. The new computer has finally arrived. I have a Carbon Copy Cloner backup disc and was going to use Migration Assistant. I'm wondering what the pros and cons are of migrating the Dropbox folder over from my backup disc, or not migrating it and just signing in to Dropbox like I have been doing on the loaner computer.

If I don't migrate the Dropbox folder, then there's a lot more space left on the new computer (my Dropbox folder is 540GB, the rest of the CCC files not including Dropbox are about 140GB, and I have 1TB on the new computer). I'm also thinking it would avoid conflicted copies with anything I've made changes to in the interim 2.5 weeks.

But if I don't migrate it, am I losing functionality of any sort? I've noticed that everything on the loaner computer is offline until I click on it. This can be an issue for me because in the summers I live in a National Park and I don't always have wifi connectivity to access my files.

Thank you for any insight!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Glad you managed to find what's best for you @keg1

If you need anything else, I'll be one post away! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @keg1, happy Tuesday! 

Just to make sure we're on the same page here: your options are to either backup your Dropbox folder and migrate it to the new device, or use the website? Or do you wish to simply copy over the folder using Carbon Copy Cloner backup? 

You mentioned that you would just sign in to the new device the way you've been doing on the loaner device, however you later on mention that you're also using the app there, am I right on this? 

If you end up not using the app on your device, then you will essentially lose all the functionalities that come along with our desktop app. 

As for your files, and folders you can always choose how you want them to sync on the new device too, and if they'll be syncing locally or not. 

I hope this clarifies. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

keg1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks, Megan, that helps to clarify some things.

The Dropbox folder I have on my CCC backup disk is now about 3 weeks out of date. I am using the Dropbox desktop app on the loaner computer.

It looks like I can download the desktop app on the new computer, and then select folders to sync locally (https://help.dropbox.com/sync/selective-sync-overview) - which is what I want. It seems like either method will work, but the one described here might be cleaner as it would be the most up-to-date version of all my files and folders.

Thanks for helping me sort that out!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Glad you managed to find what's best for you @keg1

If you need anything else, I'll be one post away! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    keg1 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?