cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync storage issue on macOS Sierra 10.12- macOS High Sierra 10.13.3.

Smart Sync storage issue on macOS Sierra 10.12- macOS High Sierra 10.13.3.

Fowzie T.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm really confused, the premise of smart sync is to free up local storage. This is a screenshot of a folder which contains about 2GB of data.  Am I doing something wrong?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjd34t39t0q7312/Screenshot%202017-02-18%2012.03.41.png?dl=0

128 Replies 128

Rako
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

see it says i have 243,11GB aviable, the hard drive is 500GB  and says i have 657.67 GB so clearly there is huge miss comunication.... 

now i want to know what dose 243.11 are for but I CANT cause now i dont know which files my mac is counting for real and wich are not, and looking for a litlle cloud asaide each file and hold my calculator on the side seems soo 1919... jajaja so I guess there is nothing to do but to wait until dropbox and apple get along on this issue...

Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 12.59.11 AM.png

mmedi005
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm also experiencing this issue with High Sierra an it is acting up. Everything is setting alarms that my disk space is low.

Is there a fix to this?

I left Dropbox after years of using it and came back when Smart Sync was offered to inividuals. I'm currently having to use Dropbox like if I have the basic plan.

Thanks

JC-CS
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same issue.

Time Machine is backing up the cache, thinks that the disc is 1.3TB  but its only 3.4GB in actual size.

1,367,637,730,648 bytes 1.3TB - (3.43 GB on disk) for 219,848 items

This means time machine or Migration assistant will not work if you try to restore from either. I bought a duplicate MacBook pro for a hot backup and was doing migration or time machine and neither would work. it thinks there is 1.3TB of data lolol. I reported this to Dropbox engineering, since I have a connection to Drew the CEO, going to see if can get their act together. This is a major problem as no one sing dropbox can use Time Machine or Migration Assistant to restore their laptop if there is ever an issue.

I had to use Carbon Copy Cloner to create my hot backup, i doubt few users out there are going to enjoy this serious Cache bug.

JC

akaraetteh
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I'm intrigued - why do you need to use time machine to backup your dropbox folder? Why not exclude it?

Rako
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I just like the way it works when I need to recover a file last version it’s so much easier than Dropbox since it shows document preview and holds it for quite long time

akaraetteh
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Makes sense. Seems like we currently pay for that luxury by having strange MacOS size reporting...

fransg
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

But I do (mostly, not always) have preview of pictures that are "online only", see below.

"online only" photo previewed in Finder"online only" photo previewed in Finder

akaraetteh
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
That’s pretty cool!

fransg
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks, yes it is very convenient.

The space issue is not a problem here anymore. The Finder does seem to think there is 166 GB of the "online only" folder taking up space on the local HD but it really isn't, because I have 334 GB free space on the 500 GB HD. If I would delete 166 GB of "pictures" off that HD, I would essentially be working on a blank disk, so where would the OSX and all my apps, mail, music etc be? 😉

Finder seems to have a little 'bookkeeping' problen when reporting DropBox efficiency.

334 GB free space334 GB free space156 GB of Dropbox files locally on HD? I don't think so156 GB of Dropbox files locally on HD? I don't think so

JC-CS
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Unless you exclude the dropbox folders from your TimeMachine backup, you will not be able to restore your Mac from Timemachine (from a full backup). Finder thinks there is more space taken then the hard drive will hold, proved this 100x, Dropbox engineering is working on it, its a known problem, the only work around is to make sure you exclude dropbox folder from timemachine backups.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    Sanchez Dropbox Staff
    ory New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?