cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync storage issue on macOS Sierra 10.12- macOS High Sierra 10.13.3.

Smart Sync storage issue on macOS Sierra 10.12- macOS High Sierra 10.13.3.

Fowzie T.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm really confused, the premise of smart sync is to free up local storage. This is a screenshot of a folder which contains about 2GB of data.  Am I doing something wrong?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjd34t39t0q7312/Screenshot%202017-02-18%2012.03.41.png?dl=0

128 Replies 128

AgusPrabowo
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I used dropbox is smart synchrone the data. Thanks

idennis
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

So i'm having same problems with smartsync. Just installed a new ssd on my laptop so there is nothing on there.

Installed dropbox and all folders are ' now online only'. But it still takes up hd space, 25Gb arcording to de info. 

I'm running OS 10.13.1 and dropbox app v39.4.49, please fix this. Just paid €199,- for this and it's not working !

Schermafbeelding 2017-11-18 om 21.28.06.png

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @idennis, welcome to the Dropbox community! 

I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this issue. I would really appreciate it if you submitted a ticket so that we can gather information specific to your case. 

Thank you

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

idennis
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

@Sanchez: I allready made contact thru chat to find out what the problem is, your college is still looking for a anwser and he will email me back as soon as possible. 

I did a liitle research myself: 

- all my folders are set to 'online only' 

- when you look at the info of the dropbox folder on my mac it's shows it's using 25Gb;

- when turn off wifi i can not open any documents from de dropbox folder;

- when i look at the info of usage from my hd is saying 145Gb of 240Gb still free space, so i'm using 95Gb;

- when i count the usage of everything: 52 (vm) +40 (doc) +12 (photo)+6 (app) +6 (icloud)+3 = 119Gb;

- So 119Gb - 95Gb = 24 Gb, that's also the amound of usage of the dropboxfolder;

So in short i think the dropbox folder is empty  on my mac but OSX counts it with the total of usage (doc 40Gb) on my mac. I want to put more files on my dropbox but afraid that it will create problems on my mac, and slowing it down.

Think it's time for a update from apple/dropbox solving this problem.

Schermafbeelding 2017-11-22 om 08.03.50.png

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @idennis

Thanks for getting back to me. I’m glad that you’re in communication with our support team, and I hope they get you something soon. 

In the meantime, I’ve been discussing your case with my colleagues here, and those who use Macs confirm that the usage reporting by the operating system is notoriously inaccurate”. They suggest clearing the computer’s cache (you’ll need to look up how this is done), as a way of resetting the usage report, to make it more accurate. 

They also suggested that you check the size of the local Dropbox folder like this: 
  • click on the Apple logo at the top left
  • click About this Mac
  • select Storage, then Manage
  • click on Documents in the left pane
    • choose the File Browser tab
    • find the Dropbox folder to see its size
By no means an I passing the blame to Apple here. I’m just trying to see how we can maybe get this to work a little better in the meantime. 

I hope this helps. 
Cheers! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

cvonie
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am running 10.10.5.... how do i get drobox clunkiness off my hard drive?  

fransg
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have the same issue here. Over the past 2 days I moved an approximate of 85GB set of picture folders to my Dropbox Professional. I set it to "Online only". When I started the upload I had a little over 300GB free space on my HD, and now that the folders are "online- only" the free space of my HD is just 235GB. I did restart the 2017 15" Macbook Pro (High Sierra 10.13.1).

How can I free up about 70GB of space that I 'lost' to files that are not supposed to take up space locally?

The "2016" folder that has been in Dropbox longer is fine, taking up hardly any space locally, by the way, see below:

2016.png

hd-freespace.png2015pix.png

fransg
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
PS 4 hours later, 10GB extra have been 'freed' on my HD. No activity to be seen on the Dropbox icon in the top of the screen but apparently somewhere in the background wheels are turning. Will be good to see the HD having 300GB free space again in Finder.

fransg
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks to Ken from support for his speedy email reply. He explains that the process takes some time to complete. "The best way to know if the syncing has been complete, is by looking at the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) and see if it is done syncing. When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words Up to date on the menu."

I checked and it does show (in Dutch) that it's "Up to date" ("Bijgewerkt") but in the background Finder is still slowly regaining space. Right now 20GB of the 85GB have been freed, after half a day. I can live with that slow recovery if it continues and if it completes eventually but I think communication by the Dropbox app should be more astute. "Up to date" should indicate "all done" or it should be telling me something like "clearing space now at 70%"

Would that be possible?

Schermafbeelding 2017-11-28 om 23.17.20.png

idennis
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
So stil having the same problems. I think that there is en problem with the software. Something that should be fixed asap.
On my laptop it still showing usage 24GB. So it’s not getting less over time.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    Sanchez Dropbox Staff
    ory New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?