cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox is always connecting...

[Solved, Ubuntu 22.04] Dropbox is always "Connecting..."

leoheck
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi, Dropbox tray icon says it is "Connecting..." forever.

leoheck_4-1653668371680.png

I cannot see the list of the latest modified files as it used to show or use the tray, actually.

I am using Linux Ubuntu 22.04 (but it like that since the 19.10, I suppose)

leoheck_0-1653668483965.png

The currently installed version of Dropbox is 149.4.4568

leoheck_0-1653668047009.png

I also don't have the "Early releases" enabled as you can see in the following screenshot. 

leoheck_1-1653668123706.png

I also tried to remove `.dropbox` and `.dropbox-dist` manually to reinstall them cleanly.

You can check the date and time it was reinstalled here.

leoheck_2-1653668237869.png

73 Replies 73

le_avion
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Sure.

alanpmuscat
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, of course. By all means. It is actually what I was expecting from the start of this request for help.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your cooperation @le_avion & @alanpmuscat - you both got :envelope: 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

gencersumbul
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I face exactly the same problem with @le_avion & @alanpmuscat under Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS. Is there any solution? @Valter

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @gencersumbul, sorry to hear about this.

Please note that Dropbox is only supported on vanilla builds of Ubuntu 14.04 or later, or Fedora 21 or later.

We don't officially support forks or variants of these operating systems, or other flavors of Linux at this time.

You can learn more about our supported distros for Linux here.

That said, have you tried any of the steps mentioned through this discussion?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

le_avion
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@WalterThanks for clarifying this policy. Therefore I will not renew my Dropbox subscription and move to a product that fully supports my Linux variant and which also supports cloud-only files that Dropbox decided not to support on Linux.

gdelfino
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Any news on this? I am having this exact same issue. It works but the menu always says "Connecting...".  Actually I have already decided to move to a different service (my own Synology Drive), but would like to keep Dropbox as a backup.

le_avion
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@gdelfino 

I am not expecting much from Dropbox support anymore. Two weeks ago I received from them a reply about my ticket:

"We have found a work around. We've confirmed that downloading from the new "Fedora 37" link and installing from the install page resolves the issue.

Affected users might need to clear their cache before refreshing the page."

I replied back that Ubuntu and its derivative don't use RPM but I never heard back from them and they closed the ticket as resolved.

As I mentioned earlier, once my subscription period ends I am leaving Dropbox. Once they lose me as a customer it is forever. I guess they don't care if you are not a Windows user or not a corporation.

Oh, and by the way, the "Fedora 37 or higher (.rpm)" link above is broken and doesn't work.

One more edit: I found the download for Fedora 37 on another Dropbox page and decided to try it. I used "alien" to convert the rpm to a deb and installed it. Guess what. No change. It's still showing Connecting... for ever and ever and ever...

Le00
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the exact same issue: Pop!_OS. Synching works fine. Tray menu stuck on "connecting".

Joul
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am using Pop os 22.04 same problem

Need more support?