cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Dropbox from transferring files from cloud to my hard drive

Stop Dropbox from transferring files from cloud to my hard drive

nycdem
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I just installed the Dropbox app on an iMac (running Mojave), and I could've sworn that I clicked an option stating that I just want all my files to be stored in the cloud and not on my local hard drive. (I successfully set up Dropbox that way on my MacBook.) But something went wrong here: I noticed that there weren't any cloud icons on my local Dropbox files and then I clicked on the Dropbox icon in the upper right corner of the screen to see that it was syncing all my cloud files to my local drive -- my local drive already has over 700 GB of files on it. This is going to max out my desktop storage capacity soon.

How do I get this to stop? At the moment, all I could find was a command to pause syncing indefinitely. But I want that's not exactly what I want. I want syncing to happen but for the files themselves to only exist (and take up space) in the cloud.

Can someone help me?

1 Reply 1

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @nycdem, sorry to hear you're having issues with this. 

Could you send us a screenshot of how the files look inside your Dropbox folder so that we can check their syncing icons?

Also, what is the app's current status and version as shown in your menu bar?  

If you go to the sync tab in the app's preferences, where's your Dropbox folder located at the moment? 

Any additional information is more than welcome!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?