cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly getting sync errors related to file names with special characters

Suddenly getting sync errors related to file names with special characters

ChrisYMY
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm on Windows 10 and have been using dropbox for 5+ years. In the last 2 days, suddenly I have been getting sync errors for around 2500+ files and the error is related to file naming issues. The odd thing is these files have been in dropbox for over 3 years and have always synced with no error messages - so why won't it sync now?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @JuliaG, sorry to hear that. 

Could you also let me know if you’re seeing any errors and what the Dropbox icon next to your desktop’s clock reads when you hover over it? A screenshot (omitting personal info) would be much appreciated so as to have a better visual understanding of the behavior. 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

23 Replies 23

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @ChrisYMY, could you please elaborate a bit on this? For example:
  • What is the error message that you’re seeing? 
  • What does the Dropbox icon that’s next to your computer’s clock show when you hover over it?
Any screenshots (without any personal info) that you could attach in your next reply would also be very helpful. 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JuliaG
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same problem suddenly today. I started trying to fix them but suddenly loads more are appearing. I'm using a Mac and have been using it without errors for years.

Julia

ChrisYMY
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Error message is as follows:

"Couldn't sync 1488 files. 
View sync issues on Dropbox settings menu."

There are 2 options beneath the error message, "view" and "dismiss". If I press view, I get a list of the files that fail to sync and message suggesting I remove special characters. (the characters that seem to be an issue are ">" and "?" and "_").

The dropbox icon in the system tray (next to the clock) shows a "1" in red.

IMG_0324.jpg

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @JuliaG, sorry to hear that. 

Could you also let me know if you’re seeing any errors and what the Dropbox icon next to your desktop’s clock reads when you hover over it? A screenshot (omitting personal info) would be much appreciated so as to have a better visual understanding of the behavior. 

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for getting back to me, @ChrisYMY

Hmm. Could you check if you have the latest stable version installed (70.4.93)? Please remember that a beta version can be recognized by a xx.3.xx, instead of the xx.4.xx. So if you’re on a beta build, it means that you have opted in to Early Releases in your online account settings.

If this doesn’t apply to you or you’re still having trouble with this, could you please send me a screenshot (without any sensitive info) of the error message? You can do so from one of the following options:

Attach image.png
Let me know what you find!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

ChrisYMY
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm on Beta build, using v71.3.102. Have unchecked the option for early release on Dropbox website just now.

Should I downgrade to stable release?

JuliaG
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm on the same - v71.3.102. I tried installing 70.4.93, although it still says I'm on v71.3.102 after the update. However, it does seem to be working fine now.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for getting back to me on this, peeps!

@JuliaG, I’m glad to hear that this seems to be working as per normal now. Let me know if you have any other questions or if the behavior persists. 

@ChrisYMY, try running the stable version and let me know how it goes. Thanks again!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

ChrisYMY
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've downgraded to stable version.

1. I no longer get the red icon "1" on the dropbox icon in the system tray next to the clock
  2. BUT, it still doesn't seem to sync the files with the special characters.

Question : are special characters in filenames not allowed now? The web version seems to suggest this - although the file names with special characters actually are visible on the webpage (so I assume it had been upload successfully in the past). Just want to confirm if I need to rename all these and avoid them in the future.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mitchrosefelt Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    99gov New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?