cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync has stopped working

Sync has stopped working

Jeff047
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello, I have used Dropbox since about 2016, and have about 250 files created on my PC.  Updating files on the PC used to automatically update the files on my mobile phone until I replaced it with a new phone recently.  I managed to copy the 250 files (somehow) initially, but they don't ever get updated.  Please keep replies simple, as I am 69 and not very tech savvy.  I don't think that I use the Dropbox app on my PC - Dropbox just comes up alongside my general files and photos.  Any help welcome!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

That's good news, this means that the Dropbox account on the site and the account on the computer are linked to each other. This also means you have a second Dropbox account under the other email address which is visible on the Dropbox mobile app.

Since your PC files are the ones you want on the phone, try signing out of the mobile app from the settings, and then sign into the same email you used on the desktop app. Now the correct files will appear there.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

55 Replies 55

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Jeff047, sorry to hear about your syncing issue.

It sounds like you used to have the desktop app installed on your computer at some point in the past and you were working on files within your Dropbox folder - correct me if I'm wrong please.

If that's the case, you can simply download and install the desktop app from this page and make sure to log into the same account as the one you use on your mobile phone. 

Let me know if this helps! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Jeff047
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks for replying, Walter.  I tried your link, it said "We're now downloading Dropbox" but, half an hour later, nothing had happened.  I'm not sure how I set it up six years ago, but I somehow linked my phone to Dropbox on my PC.  Viewing Dropbox on my phone, it says that the phone is the only device connected.

Jeff047
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

This is odd!  Looking at All Files/Recents on my PC, it knows that I opened a certain file ON MY PHONE 3 hours ago, so the phone is talking to the PC, but the PC is not applying updates to the phone.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Jeff047, sorry to jump in here!

Did you ever manage to download our desktop app? Also, when you say that the files don't get updated, do you mean locally on the device? 

Also, if I understand your needs correctly, you want to be able to see your Dropbox content both on your phone, and on your computer, and see the updates on both the devices, right?

In order for that to happen, you'd need the Dropbox desktop app, since all of the changes you make on your mobile, will reflect inside your Dropbox folder, in the computer. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Jeff047
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks for your reply, Megan.  I tried to download the desktop app but, after half an hour, nothing had happened.  How long should it take?

I only update Dropbox files on my PC, not the phone, but the phone always used to get the updated versions automatically.

It has been working perfectly for six years.  The only thing that has changed is I've got a new phone (same number, same SIM card).  If I haven't got the PC app, how come it was working before?

Any advice welcome!  Thanks.

Jeff

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Jeff047, can you also try to download the app using the offline installer? The app shouldn't take that long to download, it should be instant, depending on your connection. 

If you visit your account online, are you able to see your content there? Also, if you never had the desktop app, then the files couldn't be syncing, since they would have no way to do that. Unless you used the website to upload them. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Jeff047
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Megan,

Yes, I used your link and the download and Dropbox Installer have run - it took about 3 minutes. 

When I go into my Dropbox files on the PC now, they all have a green tick on the left of the name.  The file versions on the phone are still the old ones at the moment.  I'm not sure when I should expect them to be transferred from PC to phone.

Jeff 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Jeff047, if the files have green ticks, and the desktop app says it's up to date, then the latest files are all synced to the site. 

If the phone isn't detecting the change, then there's something occurring on that end. 

What type of files are you trying to open there, images, documents, videos? The exact file type, like mp3, docx, pdf etc would be helpful in assisting further.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Jeff047
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello Jay, thanks for your reply.  The files are mainly Microsoft Edge PDF Documents.  I have updated some recently on the PC, but the phone is still showing me the old versions.

My PC can tell that I have opened them on my phone, so there is a connection of some sort.

Regards, Jeff

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Vishwas Gagrani Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    jeff47 New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?