cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload limit at 2GB

Upload limit at 2GB

fredart
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi.
Trying to upload files to a paying account from a free account. Cannot upload files bigger than 2mb. Is the limitation due sending from a free account, or is it a limit on the receiving account?

Doesnt make sense to me either way

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@fredart wrote:

Yes that's what we did. Recipient with the large capacity sent me a file request, but i get an error message when i try to upload files over 2GB

Ok, so you referring to the upload of a single file that's larger than 2GB, rather than many files totaling more than 2GB. The owner of the file request would need to be on a Professional account in order to accept file uploads over 2GB.

Dropbox Basic, Plus, and Family customers can accept files up to 2 GB. Dropbox Professional customers can accept files up to 50 GB in size.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@fredart wrote:

Trying to upload files to a paying account from a free account. Cannot upload files bigger than 2mb. Is the limitation due sending from a free account, or is it a limit on the receiving account?

I'm assuming you mean 2GB, not 2MB, as 2GB is how much space a Basic account starts with.

If you're a member of a shared folder you have your own copy of the folder in your account, and any files in the folder take up space in your account. It doesn't matter if the owner of the folder has a paid account. You're still limited to the space available in your own account.

If you need to upload files that are larger than your account can hold, ask the recipient to send you a File Request instead.

fredart
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes that's what we did. Recipient with the large capacity sent me a file request, but i get an error message when i try to upload files over 2GB

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@fredart wrote:

Ok, so you referring to the upload of a single file that's larger than 2GB, rather than many files totaling more than 2GB. The owner of the file request would need to be on a Professional account in order to accept file uploads over 2GB.

Dropbox Basic, Plus, and Family customers can accept files up to 2 GB. Dropbox Professional customers can accept files up to 50 GB in size.

fredart
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you Rich, that answers my question. Also tells me that DB is not very useful for us

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

fredart New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?