cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You can't share a folder that contains a shared folder - BUT I AM NOT!

You can't share a folder that contains a shared folder - BUT I AM NOT!

Phil C.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Really confused! I need to give access to someone to collaborate but when I try to do this it says 'You can't share a folder that contains a shared folder' and only gives me the option to send them the link (which I have but it is not ideal). I feel sure that I have not previously shared any of the sub-folders and when I click on the sharing option at the side it does not show that any of these folders haver been shared. How can I solve this so I can share the folders inside. It is folders containing audio recordings from an App we have purchased called ALON Dictaphone.

Would really appreciate advice to solve this.

Phil

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

If you're getting a message that you can't share a folder because it contains or is a member of another shared folder, then there's another shared folder. It's as simple as that. Look at the Sharing page for a list of your shared folders. If there's one listed, even if you're not sharing it with anyone (i.e. you're the only member) it's still considered a shared folder.

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

It only does that if it finds one, so it must be there, using the left side SHARING link, place your mouse over each share, and look to the bottom left (most browsers) for the expanded full path of the shares, one of them will be in the folder your trying to share.

Lauren V.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This answer is the only one that works

Jorden C.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This is causing me big problems with my clients today. Absolutely ridiculous.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Well its been like this from the start so why did it only cause problems today?

sacha p.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have the same problem!  there is no sign of a folder being shared, but when i try to share it i get a message that it's being shared so i can't share it!  what is going on?  how do i fix that?

Jayne J.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Having the same problem as described here, did it get resolved?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

If you're getting a message that you can't share a folder because it contains or is a member of another shared folder, then there's another shared folder. It's as simple as that. Look at the Sharing page for a list of your shared folders. If there's one listed, even if you're not sharing it with anyone (i.e. you're the only member) it's still considered a shared folder.

Info A.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

We are having the sam issue and do NOT have shared folders, we even deleted all shared folders just to be sure and we had the same error, can somebody please help

Dave C.5
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

click on the SHARING link and double check you have no shared folders.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sabatino T. New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
    Info A.2 New member | Level 1
    Marjoline V. Explorer | Level 4
    Dave C.5 Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?