cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

selective sync for phone

selective sync for phone

jnesp
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello everyone
Do you know if the selective synchronization exists on phone, I didn't find the answer and it would be a good idea to set up
Thank you for your feedback

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Welcome aboard the Community, @jnesp! I hope you’re doing well. 

Selective sync isn’t available for mobile devices, since the files on your Dropbox mobile app don’t take up space from your phone, like the ones on the desktop app do. 

As a result, this feature wouldn’t be necessary on your mobile device. 

If you have any other questions though, don’t hesitate to ping me!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Welcome aboard the Community, @jnesp! I hope you’re doing well. 

Selective sync isn’t available for mobile devices, since the files on your Dropbox mobile app don’t take up space from your phone, like the ones on the desktop app do. 

As a result, this feature wouldn’t be necessary on your mobile device. 

If you have any other questions though, don’t hesitate to ping me!

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

jnesp
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thankyou Nancy,

I understand

Kind regards

Jerome

firstklass7
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Unfortunately I have the same problem. It is taking up all of the space on my phone! It's showing that it's the app itself that is taking up so much space. So how do you delete some of the folders without actually deleting them from your Dropbox account? I tried doing one folder and deleting it and it deleted it from Dropbox online so that won't work.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@firstklass7 wrote:

It is taking up all of the space on my phone! It's showing that it's the app itself that is taking up so much space.

The space reported as in use by Dropbox is not from the files in your account. Well, it is, but it's just Dropbox's cache. You can clear the cache from Settings within the app, or uninstall/reinstall the app. If you opt to uninstall/reinstall, you'll need to re-mark any files that you previously had marked as available offline.

EvoluZion3
Helpful | Level 5

I use DB for two main things - uploading photos from my iphone to my PC, and hosting a backup of my PC files (projects I work on, video game screenshots, etc.)

I use SyncBackPro to periodically backup files from PC to my dropbox's \backup folder, and I want the backup folder to be otherwise invisible to the DB app.

The Dropbox PC app works fine, the root of this can only see my Camera Uploads folder (phone to PC), my Screenshots folder (PC to phone) and a small shared Docs folder. The "Selective Sync" preference of the app enables me to do this.

However the Dropbox app on my iphone seems to be able to see every single photo on my Dropbox, including my Backups folder, so whenever I do a backup from my PC to DB, thousands of image thumbnails appear on the "Photos" tab of the Dropbox iphone app.

I suspect if I start deleting them on the phone, they'll actually be deleted from my Backups folder, which I don't want. Is there a "Selective Sync" equivalent to the iphone app, so I can get it to totally ignore the Backups folder?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @EvoluZion3, thanks for posting!

At the moment, there's no such feature available, but I was able to find an idea another user posted that might be worth checking out.

You can find it here and up-vote it, to show your support!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    EvoluZion3 Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
    firstklass7 New member | Level 2
    jnesp Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?