cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A setting for File and Folder Deletion Prevention for members in a business plan - Urgent

A setting for File and Folder Deletion Prevention for members in a business plan - Urgent

Who knows
Explorer | Level 4

Hello Dropbox Team. There is no easier way to say this - You NEED to have a setting implemented immediately, which PREVENTS DELETION BY OTHER TEAM MEMBERS of a business, on all your business plans. If a company is using dropbox and all the company files are there, can i ask why there is no setting to prevent staff members from editing, deleting, downloading? There is a company known as ShareFile which has user controls preventing this sort of thing - IF THE ADMIN WISHES TO SET IT. Please do this as a matter of urgency - EVERYONE WANTS IT. 

We do not want a "permanent deletion prevention" setting as this requires the business owner to check all files that have been deleted at a future point in time after the fact. What we want is to stop all files from being deleted once they have been uploaded. Once they are in, they are in and locked away. 

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@Who knows wrote:

... can i ask why there is no setting to prevent staff members from editing, deleting, downloading?

There is. You can use groups and set permissions on a group or folder, including view-only.

Who knows
Explorer | Level 4

Rich it is not the same thing & Please think carefully about the response to what im asking. Again, a user/member of a business logs on (they are part of the team of the business), the permission is either view only or its full read and write. What i want is for the member to be able to read, write to disk, NOT delete any file they previously wrote to disk. Dropbox DOES NOT have this as an option. What you are saying is they either can view only (so download and view only) or full read/write. I and most people want granular permission settings.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Who knows, currently this isn't possible on the Dropbox service.

If you wish, you can suggest this change for others to vote on, so the dev team can look into this in future.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Who knows Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?