cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alphabet slider on the Dropbox app on iOS doesn't work with folders

Alphabet slider on the Dropbox app on iOS doesn't work with folders

Megrstephens
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

On Dropbox app iPhone iOS 15
There is an alphabet slider that you can use to jump to different parts of your dropbox quickly. You used to be able to use it for any file in dropbox, but now it doesn’t work for folders. is there a possibility of correcting the situation so that the alphabet slider also works for the photos like it used to? I currently have 160 folders and when I want to search through them I can either jump to the very top or the very bottom. It won’t take me to the letter I click on which can be time consuming when you are looking for certain things a lot of the time. is it possible to fix the alphabet slider to work with the folders again?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

awestort
Dropbox Product Manager
Go to solution

Hello! Unfortunately we no longer have the alphabet slider, but we do have a new file scrubber to help you quickly scroll through your files. If you tap, hold, and drag the file scrubber down you should be able to easily scroll through your content. When scrolling through files specifically, you'll be able to see the first letter of the files you're scrolling through as well. I have included a screenshot of what the experience looks like below! Hope this helps. 

IMG_9490.PNG

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Megrstephens, thanks for coming to us with this.

Can you double-check if you have the latest version of the Dropbox app? Do you see any updates in your app store?

And is the alphabet slider currently working, but only for files? Or has it disappeared completely?

Keep me posted.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Megrstephens
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I have the latest version, I do not see any updates available for the Dropbox app. The alphabet slider only works for Files, it does not work for folders.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Megrstephens, thanks for your patience. Could you try going to Settings and choose Folders on top? This should allow the right-hand index to work.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

ch4rl13
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

I have the same problem and have followed your advice with no success - clicking anywhere on the alphabet always takes me straight to the bottom of my files list - I’m unable to select a particular letter.

many thanks for your help,

charlie

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @ch4rl13, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you please clarify your device's OS version and the version of the Dropbox mobile app installed there as well?

Also, have you tried clearing the app's cache at all since you first noticed this?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ch4rl13
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hi Walter,

I’m using Dropbox version 314.2.2 on my iPad mini (iPadOS 16.2).
I have cleared the cache, which hasn’t made any difference.

The same thing happens on my iPhone, so I don’t think it’s my end.

Thanks,
Charlie

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @ch4rl13, have you tried restarting your device entirely after clearing the cache?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

awestort
Dropbox Product Manager
Go to solution

Hello! Unfortunately we no longer have the alphabet slider, but we do have a new file scrubber to help you quickly scroll through your files. If you tap, hold, and drag the file scrubber down you should be able to easily scroll through your content. When scrolling through files specifically, you'll be able to see the first letter of the files you're scrolling through as well. I have included a screenshot of what the experience looks like below! Hope this helps. 

IMG_9490.PNG

Broadwaymhl
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Since you see how valuable the alphabet slider is for your community, why don't you consider adding it back?  It's clearly so important to so many of your customers.  This file scrubber is not as easy to use as what existed before, but it's better than nothing.  Is it really difficult for you to add back the extremely useful alphabet slider?  Take a look at what everyone else is writing about this!  Thank you  Michael

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

SConnon Helpful | Level 6
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?