cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't un-exclude directories with `dropbox.py exclude remove <directory>` on Ubuntu 20.04.2

Can't un-exclude directories with `dropbox.py exclude remove <directory>` on Ubuntu 20.04.2

caconym
Helpful | Level 6

I have a Linux machine (running Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS, "Focal Fossa") upon which I am running a "headless" Dropbox daemon as per here: https://www.dropbox.com/install-linux

The Dropbox daemon is up to date:

```

$ dropbox.py version
Dropbox daemon version: 125.4.3474
Dropbox command-line interface version: 2020.03.04

```

This machine is truly "headless", so I am doing everything on the command line. Installation of the daemon and initial sync seemed to work fine, though autostart isn't working for me.

I've found that I can exclude directories with `dropbox.py exclude add <directory>` just fine. When I run that command for a directory in my Dropbox, the directory briefly appears in the list output from `dropbox.py exclude`. However, once the directory is actually deleted from the local Dropbox directory, it disappears from the list too. For example, I do have a bunch of directories excluded, and they are not present in the local Dropbox directory. However, the tool incorrectly reports no excluded directories:

```

$ dropbox.py exclude
No directories are being ignored.

```

This is fine, if a bit weird, but the problem is that I can't add excluded directories back (un-exclude them?) with `dropbox.py exclude remove <directory>`. That command outputs nothing and has no effect.

Why not? How can I get this to work? It seems totally broken right now.

43 Replies 43

linux000001
Helpful | Level 6

@Walter 

In the past, the tar file was labeled "dropbox-lnx.x86_64-139.4.4896", where the version number here reflects the daemon version. The "latest stable" version you point to is labeled "dropbox-lnx.x86_64-138.4.2392", which reflects an earlier release of the daemon. I did however notice the "command-line interface" is a newer version (2020.03.04). Can you tell us what we're "loosing" by downgrading the daemon? Is there a link to some release notes for the "139.x.xxxx" version?

NOTE: When you type "dropox version" it outputs versions for each

Walter
Dropbox Staff
You're not losing anything by downgrading the daemon version as it will automatically get updated to the latest version whenever possible @linux000001 

As for the release notes of our desktop app's stable and beta versions, you can have a look at this page.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

prentrodgers
New member | Level 2

For both exclude commands (add, remove) you must be in the Dropbox directory. 

@caconym wrote:

I have a Linux machine (running Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS, "Focal Fossa") upon which I am running a "headless" Dropbox daemon as per here: https://www.dropbox.com/install-linux

The Dropbox daemon is up to date:

```

$ dropbox.py version
Dropbox daemon version: 125.4.3474
Dropbox command-line interface version: 2020.03.04

```

This machine is truly "headless", so I am doing everything on the command line. Installation of the daemon and initial sync seemed to work fine, though autostart isn't working for me.

I've found that I can exclude directories with `dropbox.py exclude add <directory>` just fine. When I run that command for a directory in my Dropbox, the directory briefly appears in the list output from `dropbox.py exclude`. However, once the directory is actually deleted from the local Dropbox directory, it disappears from the list too. For example, I do have a bunch of directories excluded, and they are not present in the local Dropbox directory. However, the tool incorrectly reports no excluded directories:

```

$ dropbox.py exclude
No directories are being ignored.

```

This is fine, if a bit weird, but the problem is that I can't add excluded directories back (un-exclude them?) with `dropbox.py exclude remove <directory>`. That command outputs nothing and has no effect.

Why not? How can I get this to work? It seems totally broken right now.

cd ~/Dropbox

python ~/bin/dropbox.py exclude remove "Camera Uploads"

This will start downloading the Camera Uploads directory that was previously excluded.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@prentrodgers wrote:

For both exclude commands (add, remove) you must be in the Dropbox directory. 

@prentrodgers, No, you don't need to be in any fixed place (including in Dropbox directory, in spite possible). Wherever you are, you must point the desired folder correctly though (with either absolute or relative path - in both cases local path). Even more you should keep in mind that the desired folder is not yet there - something that has potential to confuse. Once correct local path is provided, Dropbox control script (dropbox.py) makes sure correct mapping of that path to network one (incorrect local path cannot result to correct network one, of course). When you are into Dropbox folder, relative local path is just the same as the network one (literally), but nothing more.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    prentrodgers New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    linux000001 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?