cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox moved my folders into a new folder labelled with my name. How do I change it back?

Dropbox moved my folders into a new folder labelled with my name. How do I change it back?

rfunke
New member | Level 2

Dropbox moved my folders into a new folder labelled with my name.  How do I change it back?  It's screwed up my synchronization, and I've wasted the better part of a workday trying to fix it.

10 Replies 10

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Welcome to the forum, @rfunke

If you’ve joined a Business team, then each team member will have a personal folder by default, which contains their own personal files/folders, as well as files that have been shared with them. For more info, you can also check this Help Center article

As a result, I'm afraid this can't be undone.

I’ve shared your feedback with our team though, so that they can also see your comments on this and how it affects you.

I’ll be here, if you need something else.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Haren A.
Explorer | Level 4

This has broken our entire file architecture and macro system! It is one thing to add a folder by default and an entirely different thing to change the name of the root folder and then add another subfolder in between. This is unacceptable from Dropbox's end and it is a feature that we have no use for anyway. Why wouldn't you make this an opt in? Highly disappointed and with issues like these, we will begin looking at a different file system that not only costs less but won't give us this type of thoughtless "feature" in the future.

T O Kelly
Helpful | Level 5

Major issue since last weekend dropbox update.

it has massively impacted our business,

can anybody advise what the benefits of the update are and why this had to happen.

have others had issues since the update?

Rich
Super User II

@T O Kelly wrote:

What specific update are you referring to, and what issues are you having?

T O Kelly
Helpful | Level 5

There was an update that made a personal Dropbox storage for all company users

Rich
Super User II

@T O Kelly wrote:

can anybody advise what the benefits of the update are and why this had to happen.

And what issues, specifically, are you having?

T O Kelly
Helpful | Level 5

This happened to our company also.

The reason to have a centralised server is to stop personalised folders so everybody is working off the one set of files and not their own set of files.

This really is a massive step backwards in my opinion and we will also now start to look at other solutions unless Dropbox really start to come with solutions and understand the issues this has created for companies

netsquire
Helpful | Level 6

We're in the same boat. Dropbox worked flawlessly starting from 2017 until this change that we didn't want or need and now syncing doesn't work. Deleted files on a Mac don't get deleted in the Dropbox cloud and Dropbox never stops syncing like it's stuck in a loop. So far tech support has asked us to log out, reinstall, quit, etc. None of it has worked and they have gone silent.

Tim B
New member | Level 2

This was a complete disaster, changed all the file paths and broke all sorts of scripts / tools that we use for automation. This has made having standard environments difficult since every user has a different path to dropbox. Would be really great to revert this unnecassary change.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

netsquire Helpful | Level 6
    Tim B New member | Level 2
    T O Kelly Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?