cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate files in different folders

Duplicate files in different folders

Karen Huguley
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have the same photos in different folders, and I want to delete all duplicates, so I have more space for storage. I am a dum-dum when it comes to this stuff...Please respond in laymen's terms.

How can I find duplicate photos without having to flip back and forth between folders?

Also, when my sync has been off for a while and I want to reconnect to move photos from my device to storage in Dropbox, how do I accomplish this without duplicating the photos I already have? If I change the name of the file from the automatic label to a personal label, does this prevent Dropbox from realizing a duplicate photo?

Is there some simple detail I am missing to make this easy...I can complicate simple easily, whic is why I asked for a laymen's terms answer.

Please help...Thank you from KISS.

Just means "Keep it Simple Stupid"

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

There is!

Have a look at https://www.dropbox.com/photos

BUT it may not display them next to each other to see duplicates easily

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @Karen Huguley 

I'm afraid Dropbox has no such function to find and remove duplicates. Thats something you do need to do manually unfortunately. 

Same as if sync'ing on a device is paused you need to restart it and Dropbox will automatically update the changes, however, that will just be to how they are on your device - it wont find/edit/delete any duplicate etc. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Karen Huguley
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you for clarifying that for me...Too bad such a great program doesn't have a feature to help. 

Is there a way to view ALL photos without having to open the folder(s) I stored them in? If so, will you please explain?

Thank you kindly...

KISS

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

There is!

Have a look at https://www.dropbox.com/photos

BUT it may not display them next to each other to see duplicates easily

JCarol Blair
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thanks. You’ve saved me a lot of grief and time. Have you suggested adding such a feature to the Dropbox tech team?? This would be an invaluable feature!!
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JCarol Blair New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    Karen Huguley Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?