cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Web Text Editor

Edit a text (*.txt) file in Chrome browser

jb43
Helpful | Level 6

Hi there,

I'm struggling to edit a TXT file in Chrome browser on Dropbox. I'm sure I've done it with a .docx file before. 

When I search for this feature, Google returns results asking for it back to 2012, but there's nothing recently, the feature requests such as this one have been closed, so I'm assuming I'm having an issue with my account. Especially since Dropbox is pushing Family plans, signature, and other feature way more complex and less universal as a simple TXT editor. I've been using link removed it has looked the same for years and works fine, but I find it extra weird that a giant company like Dropbox doesn't have a similar feature.

How do you usually edit a TXT file in the browser? I only have a few lines to add/remove, when I'm on a machine without the Dropbox app/daemon installed, and don't want to leave any file traces on that machine.

See my environment in Chrome on a Macbook air, as a Dropbox Plus paying client. On TXT files, I have an "Open in" Menu, but the arrow only opens a 2px high line. This is definitely not expected behavior, as if the submenu was empty, it should not appear with an arrow in the first place. What could I be I missing here?

jb43_0-1676218379770.png

21 Replies 21

L0
Explorer | Level 4

Dear support,
I am a very old user of Dropbox (maybe 2007/2008) and I suggested moving many of my friends to use it, but now I am really disappointed.
Every year the Dropbox team "forgets" to implement a web plain text editor for the browser.
This is a simple COMMODITY that all the competitors already have, and I am thinking to switch to a different service.
There is a plan to deliver it and a deadline or do I have to move to a different service?
Thank you

# SOME OLD REQUEST
2023: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Delete-edit-and-organize/Edit-a-text-txt-file-in-Chrome-browser/td-p...
2021: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Add-universal-txt-file-edit-interface/idi-p/550439
2021: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Delete-edit-and-organize/Edit-text-files/td-p/504160
2018: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Create-files-text-and-markdown-in-Dropbox-via-web-inte...
2015: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Edit-text-file-in-browser-window/idc-p/300594
2015: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Edit-text-file-in-browser-window/idi-p/19795
(And many more)

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @L0, I've merged your post to this thread to keep similar feedback together.

Currently, we have no new information regarding the implementation of a text editor on the website.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

L0
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Jay

thank you for the useless update to merge/close a post as all of the Dropbox team has done since 2012 for this request.

Have a nice day and I hope to not come back.

Mark
Super User II

@Jay wrote:

Hi @L0, I've merged your post to this thread to keep similar feedback together.

Out of interest @Jay why? Why are some posts merged and others not allowed to be merged? It seems to me like there is no rational to this (or rather its a way of hiding well requested updates). 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

L0
Explorer | Level 4

> Update: When changing my default application for TXT from Notepad to Notepad++, it also updates that menu on the Dropbox website.

That's very good news (FROM: jb43 DATED: February on this post)

Hi all, there is some way to let work the WORKAROUND with notapad++?

Installed Chrome, installed Notepad++, set Notepad++ as the default .txt editor, open Dropbox in Chrome, doesn't appear that menu on the Dropbox website.

# INFO

OS used: Windows 10 Pro(x64) - 22H2

Chrome: 112.0.5615.50 (64-bit)

Notepad++:  v8.5

dick6jane
New member | Level 2

In other words, is it possible to update text in a way that the file retains the same URL? Thanks.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dick6jane, welcome to our Community!

You can't directly edit a text file in Dropbox and keep the same URL. You need to download the file to your computer, edit it in a text editor and then re-upload it to your account.

If you have any other questions, let me know! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

dick6jane
New member | Level 2

Megan,

Am I right that the new file would generate a different URL?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Yes @dick6jane

The newly uploaded file wouldn't be linked to the initial one. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Roxx13
New member | Level 2

I was wondering also if i could edit a text file online in the Cloud....apparently this is not possible without downloading it, editing it and syncing it back online....would love to see a better solution to this problem....:)

Need more support?