cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore files from ".dropbox.cache" > "old_files"

How to restore files from ".dropbox.cache" > "old_files"

sparrsh
New member | Level 2

I deleted lot of my important data recently by misunderstanding of the app. Now I want to recover these files which are not available in "Deleted Files" section of website. but luckily I saw my files in Dropbox file explorer folder in hidden folder named ".dropbox.cache" > "old_files". All my data there is saved but in different file format (example, file name - "a8fff1a181c2345295e9ba2803347fff"). I can open it with VLC. But I am unable to restore it as previous (Correct) file format.

What are these types of files called? Can I restore it? Online or with help of any application?

Thank You!

image_2023-12-25_221018828.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@sparrsh wrote:

What are these types of files called? Can I restore it? Online or with help of any application?

There's no function to restore files from cache. You'd have to do it manually, assuming the files are complete. If they are the complete files, just rename them and include a proper file extension for whatever the file type is.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@sparrsh wrote:

There's no function to restore files from cache. You'd have to do it manually, assuming the files are complete. If they are the complete files, just rename them and include a proper file extension for whatever the file type is.

sparrsh
New member | Level 2
Yes I just did that. That is only way. Thanks man!!
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sparrsh New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?