cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can I undo the change of the Dropbox folder name, after Dropbox Business updated the file struct

New named Dropbox structure

t4ngml
Helpful | Level 6

I am a user of DropBox Business, on Windows 10.

Last week, I suddenly realized that the shortcuts to some of my Dropbox folders were broken.

A quick look learned me that the structure had changed.

While I used to access my folder through:

C:/User/{username}/Dropbox (COMPANY NAME)/, I can now find them at:
C:/User/{username}/{COMPANY NAME} Dropbox/MyFirstName LASTNAME/

Now, both structures seem to remain while the first one is now a hidden shortcut (although I can't seem to see where it links to).

So that I don't really know where my files actually are.

Is this change documented anywhere?

Thanks

After a couple of days, I realized this happened to all of this Dropbox Business users across the company, Mac and Windows, and that it messes up with backup strategies.

I didn't find anything about this new structure in DropBox's changelog.

150 Replies 150

Rich
Super User II

@Eastsite wrote:

All links and connections, established in the past, are now broken.

Create a symbolic link that points C:\AB\Dropbox (MUSTER) to C:\AB\MUSTER Dropbox.

Eastsite
Helpful | Level 6

@Rich wrote:

@Eastsite wrote:

All links and connections, established in the past, are now broken.

Create a symbolic link that points C:\AB\Dropbox (MUSTER) to C:\AB\MUSTER Dropbox.

That helped, to create 

mklink /J "C:\AB\Dropbox (MUSTER)" "C:\AB\MUSTER Dropbox"

and to integrate the folder Dropbox (MUSTER) into boxcryptor.

@Dropbox: Please give us a reason why you have renamed the root folder and not given the user the option to keep the old spelling of the root folder.

@Dropbox: Remember that you can only remain a leader (or competitive with the big ones) if you explain your actions.

Eastsite
Helpful | Level 6

A side effect is that it doesn't look so nice to have 2 dropbox root folders underneath each other:

"Dropbox (MUSTER)"

"MUSTER Dropbox"

HSMA
Helpful | Level 5

Hello

I am having a same problem, and I am about to leave dropbox for that reason. I have been paying business account for my entire architect's office over 5 years now. Because of name change, all my reference links is gone now. I spoke to Help, but they can't do anything. The only reason I've paid to dropbox is not to lose reference connection. Now, my office is stopped. Do you have any solution for loosing references?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @HSMA, it sounds like you recently migrated to the new team space. as noted by @Rich.

This means that any existing links and files would be in different locations, so they might need to be updated in order for certain file types to work.

Some files use relative links (as in ../John/file.xlsx) or absolute links (C:\Dropbox\John\file.xlsx), so some files might not need major changes to links.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II

@HSMA wrote:

Because of name change, all my reference links is gone now. ... Do you have any solution for loosing references?

Refer to my reply in your other thread.

Zondor
Helpful | Level 5

Ticket: 18237317

Our account was opted in to be upgraded to the latest version of Dropbox Business. 
Although not conveyed in the changes email, this has re-worked a number of shared folders structure from:
Dropbox Root -> Shared folder

to

Dropbox Root -> Username -> Shared Folder

This has broken some critical LOB apps for us as as they require the same folder structure on each PC.

We would not have opted into this change if it was conveyed that this change would happen.

This was raised 5 days ago to Dropbox support and still no resolution. I've conveyed the severity of this multiple times.

Please assist.

Rich
Super User II

@Zondor wrote:

Although not conveyed in the changes email, this has re-worked a number of shared folders structure from:

I haven't seen the content of the email but this change is described in the help article describing the upgrade, which I'm pretty certain is linked in the email (from other posts I've read).

Notes:

• The naming convention of the Dropbox folder will change from “Dropbox [team name]” to “[Team name] Dropbox”.
  • Existing team folders will move to the team space:
    • /[team name] Dropbox/[Team-name]’s shared workspace
  • Each team member will now have their own personal folder called a team member folder: 
    • /[team name] Dropbox/[Team member’s name]
  • All other content, including shared folders, will be moved to each member’s team member folder.

Also, while you could have delayed the upgrade for 30 days, I've seen no way to opt out of this change. This appears to be a change that Dropbox is making across the board, for all Business accounts, and there's likely no going back.

Zondor
Helpful | Level 5

Unfortunately what you have shown wasn't in the email we got from Dropbox. Opting out for 30 days is also a not an option as this is critical for our LOB apps to function.

We simply wish to keep using Dropbox the way we always have, otherwise we will need to move to another product.

Seems crazy that even with our 14,000 yearly bill that no one is able to assist us.

Rinconman
Helpful | Level 6

I got an email noting my account will be updated to the latest Dropbox for business.  I have some questions.

I already postponed it but can I opt out?

1. We really do no use team folders.  I have only one team folder noted as a test folder and it is empty.  
  2. Since we are not using team folders and each user just has their own folders, will that be the same as each user having personal folder on this new DB and all their subfolders will be there at the same subfolder locations?
  3. Who can see files in the personal folder?  Just the user or also an admin?
  4. What happens to shared folders?  Do they remain personal folders and remain shared to both internal and external users?
  5. Are share folders moved for each user and remain shared?  I have shared folders to external users and they may have moved that folder to another location in their DB.  I did the same with an internal user.  Will the shared folder be in the same location in the users personal folders?
  6. What happens to shared links to files?  Do they remain the same?
  7. What is the advantage of this upgrade?
  8. Is this upgrade Team Spaces?

On Mapping, I found this article.

https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/plans-upgrades/upcoming-business-team-changes

The naming convention of the Dropbox folder will change from “Dropbox [team name]” to “[Team name] Dropbox”.

Right now, the DB Folder has a path like

C:\Users\john\Dropbox (TEAM)

Will the new one be this?

C:\Users\john\(TEAM) Dropbox

Each team member will now have their own personal folder called a team member folder.  Will it look like this:

C:\Users\john\(TEAM) Dropbox\John

All other content, including shared folders, will be moved to each member’s team member folder.

We do not use Team Folders.  I have one that is a test that only I am a member of

Existing team folders will move to the team space.  Will the one team folder I have appear like this?

C:\Users\john\(TEAM) Dropbox\TEAM\Test

Need more support?