cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie to Dropbox needs help sorting a large library by author.

Newbie to Dropbox needs help sorting a large library by author.

ricekrispes
Explorer | Level 3

Gentles all....I am going to use Dropbox to back up my  Calibre library of over 6000 books.  I can sort by title, author, or date added in Calibre.  I would like to be able to do the same in Dropbox.  When I upload books to Dropbox they show up title first even though they are in Calibre with Author last name/first name.    I have used a different Dropbox account to move books from Calibre to my iPad, uploading to a Public folder.  They automatically sort to subfolders by author and the subfolders alphabetize automatically.   How can I do that with my new library dedicated Dropbox?   Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ricekrispes, welcome to Dropbox Community, happy Friday! 

If I understand this correctly, you wish for the content to be sorted, the same way it is when you view your content on your iPad, which is subfolders by author and the subfolders alphabetize automatically, right?

Is that what you meant when you said Public folder?

Do you use your desktop app, when sorting your content, or do you wish to see this hierarchy & sorting when using the web? Feel free to have a look here too. 

If you have any screenshots to send, they are more than welcome!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ricekrispes
Explorer | Level 3
Don’t see how to attach screenshots!
In my Calibre library I can sort by author, title or date added. It is sorted by author now. In my old Dropbox somehow the books that I add are in a Public folder with subfolders of authors name and the subfolders arrange themselves alphabetically. I tried to see in Preferences how that works but no joy
When I add books to my new Dropbox they are alphabetized by title(which comes first for each book). Can’t figure it out! Thanks

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ricekrispes, thanks for the speedy reply!

You should be able to click the camera-like icon when replying back to us, and attach your screenshot.

Would you also mind clarifying the Dropbox platform you're using at the moment, when trying to sort your books? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

ljrkrispes
Explorer | Level 3

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 7.10.23 AM.pngCurrent dropboxCurrent dropboxScreenshot 2024-03-16 at 7.10.23 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-03-16 at 7.10.01 AM.png

I am on a Macbook running Sonoma 14.2.1

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ljrkrispes, you can try creating individual folders for each of the authors, and adding their books in there.

At the moment, these are your options when it comes to sorting content: .

If you wish, renaming the file would also work, if you wish to put the author's first or last name in the beginning of the file's name. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    ljrkrispes Explorer | Level 3
    ricekrispes Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?