cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing files from Mac but not Dropbox

Removing files from Mac but not Dropbox

MikeDodson
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have a MacBook Air, and as such it's got 121Gb of memory.

I synced it with the company DropBox account, and so the Mac claims to have 1.4TB of documents (all the company documents) on it. Obviously it can't, but it can see/access them

I have now removed DropBox from the Mac, but the Mac still thinks it has 1.4TB of docs on it.

If I delete them from my Mac, I am concerned that they will be deleted from the company DropBox.

Can anyone advise on how I ensure that this does not happen? I don't want to accidentally kill the entire company, as I think it would get me fired.

15 Replies 15

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @RaiyuLovesToast, before you delete the files, please make sure that you've unlinked the computer from your account.

You can do so, by clicking on the trash can next to the name of the computer in question from the 'Devices' section in your account settings here.

And as for you, @MikeDodson, generally, as long as a computer is no longer linked to a Dropbox account, you can safely delete the Dropbox files from your computer, without affecting your account online.

Just make sure you're not deleting files that are available only in your hard drive and not the Dropbox website, because you will lose those and won't be able to restore through Dropbox.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MikeDodson
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for your responses - how do I confirm that the computer is no longer linked to the Dropbox?

Many thanks,

Mike

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @MikeDodson, I suggest that you check your account's security page for that. 

Also, if the app is uninstalled from the device, that is another sign too. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

MikeDodson
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Megan - is there not some formal way that I can confirm that my machine is now completely disassociated with Dropbox? Surely you have this technology, if I give you the details? You have my email address from my login - please could you contact me and confirm that it is - I can then give you the machine's name &c then.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @MikeDodson, the devices page is the live page showing all connected devices on your account, which is similar to the system we would use on our end.

If you wish, you can contact the support team directly for them to confirm it for you.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Anthony_7
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

All of this is happening because Photoshop continues claiming that my scratch discs are full even though I have very little data on my hard drive.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Anthony_7 New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    MikeDodson Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?