cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Replace files without breaking the shared link on desktop application for Mac

Replace files without breaking the shared link on desktop application for Mac

DocMolly
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello, 

I have used Dropbox for years to share PDFs on my website. I work on a mac and use the Dropbox desktop application. Previously, when I wanted to replace a PDF under the same name in Dropbox, I just had to save the new PDF by selecting the file I wanted to replace within the Dropbox folder on my Mac. I would click REPLACE and it automatically updated the PDF under the same name without affecting the shared link. Recently, I noticed this is no longer the case. It now deletes the original file and replaces it with a new file under the same name. This breaks the link.

Fortunately,  you can replace a file under the same name without affecting the link directly in Dropbox via a browser. This is not as slick, so I hope you bring back this functionality to the desktop app for mac. 

Thank you! 

Molly

31 Replies 31

doss
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Yes, I agree. It was late last year that I noticed this problem. I chatted with two reps who seemed to have no idea what I was talking about but it’s obviously still a problem. I’m likely going to have to switch to Google or use my iCloud account for sharing. Those aren’t as good as what Db was when it worked but they are free or a fraction of the cost, so… I really need this fixed.

Mstrcreative
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Agreed. I think I am going to cancel my sub. This is unacceptable. I share a pdf with someone for work and every time I have to send them a new link. Keeping track of who I have to send the link to is just too much of a time suck. Dropbox is going to regret not caring when they realize there is a mass exodus from their platform. They also told me they have no idea what I’m talking about. They do love my subscription though. Let’s see what happens when they start losing serious money. Maybe they will care then when it’s too late.

Mstrcreative
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
But hey maybe I should be happy I earned a badge! Lmao.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/083rsnBIEGYVigkWzScitqOEA

doss
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This. And, same. It is frustrating. I'll give them this week to get back to me regarding the escalated current ticket, but if there is no update or change, then I'll have to migrate to new storage and sharing solution.

doss
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Lol. Right. For some reason I can't like your posts. I've tried, but it doesn't work. It give me the white circle with a diagonal line through it...

doss
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just solved my own problem with support watching...

So, for me the options are to return to a pre-March 2022 version of Db, which may cause synching issues. I may do this. Or...

Avoid "exporting" to PDF for my files. I can "Print-->Save to PDF" in some of my applications and preserve the functionality I once had with the shared links updating.

It seems the problem occurred when Db added the edit PDF feature. Now, for some reason, if you are "exporting," not "saving" to PDF in some applications--Mac native and Office applications; so like all of the important one for most users--this now does not work.

The agent said he'd communicate this to the developers...

Anyhoo, this is my work around until they fix it. Hope this helps some of you struggling with this...it's been driving me crazy!

doss
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Found a better solution. This worked for me. All of my files retain their shared link after updating the original file. I hope this works for you all!

To ensure that Dropbox is working correctly, I'd recommend that you rebuild your configuration settings by unlinking and relinking your Dropbox account to your computer. This will restore any settings which may have been changed without affecting or removing your files.

Please follow these steps to unlink and relink your computer:

1) Right-click the Dropbox icon in the system tray, or menu bar, by the clock.
2) Click on your profile picture or initials to the right of the search bar, and select "Preferences".
3) Select the Account tab.
4) Click the "Sign Out" button in the Account tab.
5) Your Dropbox will then prompt you to re-enter your account information.

Your account will then take a few moments to re-index your Dropbox folder, and sync any pending changes before returning to normal activity.

Mstrcreative
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
It you have solved this problem I will forever be in your debt. Will try ASAP!

doss
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I hope it does. Keep me posted!

Mstrcreative
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Will do!
Need more support?