cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Search not working

Search not working

Mmmooo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox search can’t find anything. The files, however, are there. How can I make Dropbox find them or reindex them???

113 Replies 113

amcoffice
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
After reading posts on Dropbox Community and searching the internet, Dropbox is well aware of the search-related issues.  If a post about the search-move-indexing problems gets any response from Dropbox, it is the we-need-more-information routine.  Dropbox's failure to respond or correct these issues is not due to a lack of customer information.  The search/move/indexing problem is not an issue isolated to one customer but a chronic system-wide issue apparently not user-oriented.  

Dropbox desktop version 159.4.5870
Many of my screenshots documenting the search and move issues can already be found under Ticket Nos. 19064142, 19082558, and 19046051.  If you need more, I'll send them - begrudgingly, but I'll send them so alack of response cannot be used to sidestep Dropbox's problems.

Thank you.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi everyone, I hope you’re doing well. 

@SarahT123, have you perhaps tried to switch browsers on your computer and see if the issue persists, when searching for the files you moved into your folders?

@photogirl007, I can see above that @Megan had asked you a couple of questions on this. Can you let me know what’s the syncing status and app version of your desktop app? 

Finally, @amcoffice, can you please clarify on which platform are you having trouble with file search? Is it the website/desktop app/mobile app?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

amcoffice
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Please Ticket Nos. 19064142, 19082558, and 19046051 - lots of my screenshots documenting problems in those.  Since problems persist, I could create more screenshot proof but rather not.

In addition, problems are on DB desktop app, website, and iPhone app.  I do not know for sure, but problems seem rooted in files added via desktop app and any files (no matter when or how uploaded) that moved or renamed from any platform. 

To answer future questions I'm likely to get in response:

my interent connection is fantastic

website problems are the same in Chrome and Edge

I'm adding, moving, and renaming DB files in the same way I have for years

While I appreciate any response., given the multitude of problems just reported here, the questions are likely for Dropbox, not its customers.

I'd be crushed to know that the work I've put into creating my database the last years is now potentially useless if I can't search it to find my files/dox/photos for future projects.  Please help your customers who'd rather Dropbox resolve this than change their storage vendor. 

amcoffice
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
Please see Ticket Nos. 19064142, 19082558, and 19046051, which include lots of my screenshots documenting problems.  Since problems persist, I could create as many screenshots you need to document problem, but I'd rather not.

Problems are on DB desktop app, website, and iPhone app.  I do not know for sure, but problems seem rooted in files added via desktop app and ANY files (no matter when or how uploaded) that are moved or renamed while in any platform. 

To answer future questions I'm likely to get in response:

Dropbox desktop app seems up to date: version 159.4.5870

my interent connection is fantastic

website problems are the same in Chrome and Edge browsers

I have not changed the way I've added, moved, or renamed DB files for years

While I appreciate any response, given the multitude of problems (even just those reported here), the questions are likely for Dropbox, not its customers.

I'd be crushed to know that the work I've put into creating my database the last years is now potentially useless if I can't search it to find my files/dox/photos for future projects.  Please help your customers who'd rather Dropbox resolve this than change their storage vendor. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @klundq1, sorry to jump in, but could you clarify if you're referring to the website or the desktop app perhaps? 

Can you let us know the exact OS of your device as well? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

klundq1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Walter I am using the website, on Firefox. I am using macOS Monterey version 12.6

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

In that case, could you try clearing your browser's cache or another browser and let us know if the issue persists @klundq1?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

klundq1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Walter still does it. I tried on Safari and Google Chrome both. I did clear the cache. For example I can search for 'Smith', and only Smith, John, comes up, but I have folders for both Smith, John, and Smith, James.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @amcoffice, thanks for the ticket IDs. 

I've located them in our system and passed your comments on to the expert who's handling your case, so you should be hearing from them soon.

Let us know if you have anything else to add in the meantime.

When it comes to your issue now @klundq1 - can you clarify if it happens with specific search terms or if this is affecting all of your search results? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

klundq1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

yes it happens all the time. no specific search terms. 

Need more support?