cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Search Function does not work

Search not working

Mmmooo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox search can’t find anything. The files, however, are there. How can I make Dropbox find them or reindex them???

113 Replies 113

SarahT123
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've tried switching browsers and the search still doesn't work properly. I don't think it's a browser issue.

SarahT123
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you Walter, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the problem is resolved quickly. I've used the free version of Dropbox for over 10 years and have generally been happy with it. At least, I never noticed that anything was missing from search results. Granted, it was only the free version, so I wasn't using it to back up a large number of photos like I am now. I finally decided to upgrade to a paid account and am disappointed to discover problems now.

photogirl007
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you @Walter ,

It took me a couple of times to try to subscribe but I am now subscribed. I do hope they fix this ongoing search issue. It's gone on for way too long and I'm glad they're finally trying to resolve it.

Best,

~ jeanne

photogirl007
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Nancy & @Megan , I switched computers this year but it wasn't working on my old one either. I currently am in Mac OS Montery 12.6 and previously was in Catalina. I am now on a 2021 16" Macbook Pro 16GB and prior was on a Macbook pro which I believe was 2017 and as stated was running Catalina. Plenty of memory as I had to run memory intensive apps like Photoshop and Lightroom and never had issues. Both laptop finders could not search Dropbox files. I think there might have been a short period of time it worked in the past year or so but it's been such a huge problem for so long I can't recall when it was. It does not search from the finder window or inside the app itself from the desktop. I have better luck on the mobile app.

Hope this is helpful. Sorry for the delay. Life is pretty busy at the moment. Which is why I need search to work even more so. Thank you!

photogirl007
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Nancy @Megan  Also I'm using dropbox v.161.2.2.181 Storage of new files set to online-only. Select folders to sync/ to this Mac "Select Folders/ Drobbox folder points to my home folder. I am using selective sync. I've been using that feature for years.

Kanthosamy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The search functions from the Web does not work when the files are there. Please help me cos it is frustrating when you are doing urgent work

amcoffice
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
@Walter
I see that the incident page claims that the search problem was resolved October 20, which is absolutely not true. When I saw that, the first thing I did was run the same (simple) search that triggered the problem for me. Search still does not find that document.
I'd rather not waste more time posting about the problem all over again (but I will if necessary), much less be hampered in my work projects any longer, please reopen the search problem case and have completely fix Dropbox search.
Thank you

Alex Goals
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I still have issues finding folders created on certain days

amcoffice
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

@Walter 

According to incident page referenced in your post, the search issue has been "resolved."
I must disagree, even if the search issue is "resolved" for files going forward, Dropbox has still now resolved the problem that files apparently uploaded, renamed and/or moved during the span of the most recent search problems are still not searchable.
If so, that means that my work the last few weeks has been for naught.

@Walter, what is dropbox doing to make all of the files uploaded, renamed and/or removed during the search problem searchable?  Will Dropbox fix that issue, re-index all files, or do whatever Dropbox needs to do to make ALL files fully searchable again.  I've spent way-too-much time documenting all of this over the last few weeks.  See my Tickets #19064142, #19082558, and #19046051 (two of which have been marked "closed" for some reason, but that's yet another Dropbox issue I'm dealing with, since the search problems are not fully resolved) for numerous screenshots documenting the problem then and up till today.

When will files uploaded, renamed, and/or moved during the most recent search problem in the past few weeks be fully searchable?

Thank you,
Judith

SarahT123
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
@amcoffice, I second your comments. I don't know what's been resolved? The files I moved, that weren't searchable before, still aren't searchable. This is SO annoying!
Need more support?