cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Search not working

Search not working

Mmmooo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox search can’t find anything. The files, however, are there. How can I make Dropbox find them or reindex them???

113 Replies 113

amcoffice
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

CORRECTION TO MY EARLIER POST:

I must disagree, even if the search issue is "resolved" for files going forward, Dropbox has still NOT resolved the problem that files apparently uploaded, renamed and/or moved during the span of the most recent search problems are still not searchable.

SarahT123
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I noticed something today. The search functionality seems to depend on whether I search from a higher level folder. I used a nested folder system to organize my photos, as an example you can think of it this way:

—Photos

——National Parks

———Wyoming

So let's say I have 5 photos under "Yellowstone" named "Yellowstone Bear 1", "Yellowstone Bear 2" .... "Yellowstone Bear 5"

This is what happens when I search for the word "bear"

—Photos: all the Yellowstone Bears show up!

——National Parks: I get "Yellowstone Bear 5" and 26 bear photos from other national park folders. Yellowstone Bear 1-4 are missing from the search results.

———Wyoming: only "Yellowstone Bear 5", Yellowstone Bear 1-4 are missing

This is very perplexing to say the least!

And yes, I confirmed that Yellowstone Bear 1-5 are all in the Wyoming folder.

EDITED: I tested this with some other photos and some show up in search results from the highest level folder, but others do not.

I'm feeling very upset with Dropbox right now. I am considering moving all of my photos to a different platform (which is going to take a huge amount of time) and cancel my paid Dropbox account. What a giant pain and extremely disappointing for a service that has been around for so long.

photogirl007
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Update:

Upon seeing the "resolve" I restarted and tried searching again and indeed more files are searchable. Hurray! I am not going to count this as a fix quite yet. It's been too difficult and I know better than to think it's over but I appreciate them trying to get it done. It just shouldn't have happened.

Exactly! I hate when @dropbox tries to blame the browser or the computer or version or user for something that everyone else has had issues with. It obviously is THEIR issue. Can you guys please just fix it and stop asking us all these nonsense details? The bottom line is this and I think most would agree... The search works in the mobile app. It does NOT work on the desktop app. It doesn't work in the browser. This has been through the past two macbook pro's and across Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. None of that matters. It doesn't matter what term you search for. Photos and screenshots will do nothing. You're just making us go through senseless hurdles. I'm on a very recent version of dropbox v162.2.2409 on a 16" 2021 Macbook Pro in Montery. before that I was in Catalina on a completely different system. It wasn't working then. However it WAS working about 4 or 5 years ago. So you guys are sliding backwards. Any fix suggestions would be appreciated. That's what we come here for. Thanks

@Megan 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all, thank you for your reports and sorry for the late reply.

If any of you are still facing issues with searching your Dropbox files, please let us know here and we'll reach out via email to investigate further. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

kymh
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Walter. I am still experiencing the issue. Help?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the nudge @kymh - I've just followed up via email, so please have a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

MazzolaMj
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Just gonna jump in here—I wrote on this forum months ago that the MacOS desktop Dropbox folder is not searchable by the finder, nor is it even findable by the finder. From the root folder of the laptop the contents of my dropbox can be searched, but not from anywhere else. 

On MacOS 13.1 the problem persists.

Yes, the app reports "Your files are up to date"

Please fix this. It's been too long.

MazzolaMj
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Jumping-in here; the status page declares the issue resolved and clearly it has not been resolved.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @MazzolaMj, happy Friday! 

Could you let me know which version of our app you have installed on your device? 

Also, any screenshots you have on your end, that show the issue you mentioned, are welcome.

Keep me posted!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MazzolaMj
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello Megan; attached you will find screenshots showing what I described in prior post.

Using the web version is not acceptable to me, please fix the desktop app and the MacOS integration in particular.

Poor search: finds "00-" & invalid itemsPoor search: finds "00-" & invalid itemsWeb search at least found the folderWeb search at least found the folderSearch within entire machine finds itemSearch within entire machine finds itemsearch within Dropbox on MacOS 100% failsearch within Dropbox on MacOS 100% fail

App versionApp version

Thank you,

m

Need more support?