cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching within deleted files

Searching within deleted files

LabelsRus
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How do I search by file name in deleted files? When I use the search bar it searches not-deleted files, and as far as I can tell all I can do is sort deleted files by date range. I have no clue what the date of creation or deletion was, but I have the file name. Also, I only have one account using my dropbox, so who deleted it is useless. I would do ctrl+f, but dropbox's website only loads a few lines past the bottom of the visible page, so it's useless. And folders change, merge, and get removed over the years so searching by folder is also not helpful. I know I used to be able to search my entire deleted file history by file name a few years ago but haven't needed to recently.
Is there a limit to how far back deleted files are saved? I've been paying for the option sine opening my dropbox account, so in theory I should have access to anything I've ever deleted.

35 Replies 35

emclusk
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes, but the assumption seems to be that I know the name of the file. More detailed and varied options need to be facing the user while in deleted files at least as much as the default search allows. It is maddening to be sent away from deleted files to conduct a serious and easy search.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Yes, the name of the file is indeed essential, if we're going to be searching for it.

If you remember around what date it was deleted, you can also look at your events page, to see if you can locate the deletion event.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

simplyvince
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Search does not work for deleted files for me. It also displays results incorrectly. I was able to successfully restore my file manually but see the screenshots for the results before and after restoring. Notice when I search the exact title "Chad Copher - Weather Report r5", before restoring, search results shows an incorrect name. AFTER the file was restored, the search results ask "Did you mean". 

Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 11.51.01 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-01-09 at 11.52.36 AM.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @simplyvince, happy Tuesday!

Your feedback regarding this has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard.

I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments so we can continue to improve.

I hope this helps!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Mike K.61
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Years of user complaints about this and the best we can get is "Go post this again somewhere else and users can vote on it there!" like this entire thread (one of several on the same complaint) doesn't exist or doesn't matter to you, or an occasional "I'll pass it along and maybe someday if you're lucky and the stars align correctly and we have nothing better to do and the fancy strikes us, maybe the development team will think about implementing this essential feature!"

YOUR USERS ARE COMPLAINING. THEY HAVE BEEN FOR YEARS. WILL YOU LISTEN?

This is downright user-hostile. I need to be able to search for a deleted file by name. I can't understand why DB is so opposed to implementing something so crucial that's been missing for so long.

Meanwhile you're rolling out all kinds of complicated nonessential bells and whistles that have nothing to do with file syncing.

You advertise that we can pay for longer-term file recovery, and then, effectively, provide no practical way to actually do it, unless you have superhuman memory and can remember which of your many thousands of folders it was in and the exact date you deleted it (challenge: try, using just your memory, to recall even the month that you deleted some random file last year), or have time to scroll though a chronological-only list of, in my case, literally hundreds of thousands of deleted files, hoping to find the one needle you need in that unmanageable haystack.

andi79
Explorer | Level 4

Deleted files aren't shown in search results at all anymore. Posts from 2019 mention them being shown in grey under the regular results, but now I get no results shown. No way to search deleted files.

Also, it's a bit silly having the search box at the top of the deleted files page, when it doesn't actually search that page.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

andi79 Explorer | Level 4
    Mike K.61 Collaborator | Level 9
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    simplyvince Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?