cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective Sync not working and cannot open files

Selective Sync not working and cannot open files

missingcow
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My account is transfered to a business account and now I am trying to unsync the files I don't need as they are taking too much space (~60GB). Did the Selective Sync > Online Only but most files are still in my local. I also cannot open the files. All of them have a grey X (snip below) at the corner of the icon in Windows Explorer. 

Appreciate your help in resolving this! Thank you!

Capture.JPG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

missingcow
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Lusil,

Thanks so much for getting back to me with the solution! I followed the steps and they didn't do it for me. I ended up reinstalling Dropbox and it somehow works!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @missingcow, thanks for reaching out to us about this. 

At first, note that selective sync and Smart Sync are two separate space-saving features. More specifically:

• Selective sync removes whole folders from your hard drive, while retaining them in your Dropbox account, and you can select to sync them back again at any point in time.  
  • Smart Sync reduces the amount of space a file takes up by setting them to be online-only, keeping them available locally in your Dropbox folder. 

Having said that, could you let me know if you've tried converting content to online-only or selectively syncing folders in smaller batches?

As for the sync icons on your files, could you try the following steps in the exact order listed, and see if they do the trick?

• Click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  • Go to the gear in the Notifications panel.
  • Select Preferences...
  • Navigate to the Account tab.
  • Click anywhere in the window under the tab.
  • Hold down the 'Alt+H' keys.
  • Click on the Fix Hardlinks button.
  • You may be asked for your computer's login credentials, in which case, please enter them.

Wait a bit to see if Dropbox resumes syncing and, if you're still having trouble with this, repeat steps 1-6, but at step 7, click on the Fix Permissions button, instead. 

Let me know how it goes, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

missingcow
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Lusil,

Thanks so much for getting back to me with the solution! I followed the steps and they didn't do it for me. I ended up reinstalling Dropbox and it somehow works!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve your concern in the end, @missingcow!

If anything else comes up in the future, just give us another nudge and we'll do our best to assist. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a wonderful day ahead!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    missingcow New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?