cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did all of my files disappear?

Why did all of my files disappear?

Mark H.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

A folder that is owned by me and shared with two others is now empty. What happened to all of my image files? How do I get them back?

104 Replies 104

Suleyman Y.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Today I checked that some of my files were vaporized without any track. There is no information in recent file list, no way to restore files.! Dropbox was the one of the best for me, I will move files to another company's cloud system.

My important files are gone!

karen N.6
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm so sorry that also happened to you.  there has got to be something we can do.  I paid them  10+ a month for 2 years and all I got was all of my children's lives in pictures gone forever!!!

Suleyman Y.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I restored files from my backup harddrive. Finally solved! But it will be hard for me to trust dropbox any more.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox is not capable of deleting your files on its own. Either you, another process on your computer or another device connected to your account had to have caused the deletion.

Start here:

RC L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Dropbox lost several important documents since about Dec 23 (spreadsheets representing a lot of hard work) by somehow syncing incorrectly - I edited them extensively on one machine and later that day dropbox "synced" by reverting to the directory on a different machine. This lost all updates and all new files created. 

This one disaster is enough for me, I'm out of dropbox, it is not reliable.

RCL

javier g.11
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Mohiuddin a.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

It happened to me too. It is not just shared folders most of my other folders do not have any files. I hope Dropbox keep their back up some where in a physical hard drive. Please upload and sync my files from October 2015. Rest of the files I shall take care of by myself.

I am an University Professor, do not have enough money to buy my personal cloud. Please HELP!!!!!

G W.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I just now noticed that I'm missing huge chunks of files - I don't know to what degree yet, but this is very troubling.  I relied on Dropbox as a safety net for storing all of my files, since external harddrives (harddrives, in general) are unreliable.  I now have to find a new solution.  In the meantime, I guess I'll be spending my day assessing all the damage and start recovering what I can.  Not cool Dropbox.

Denise L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Does anyone have a suggestion for an additional backup, other than DVDs or external hard drive?

Jiaxi W.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I just experienced this. I have dropbox installed on four machines. About an hour ago, my camera upload folder became empty. For some reason, the files are still available on one of the computers, but the other three computers all lost the files.

The system says it was done in the past hour by the computer that still has all the files. But I did not even turn that computer on in the past 4 hours. A closer look indicated that I was somehow kicked out from the shared folder (camera upload), even though I didn't share it with anyone. I went to my shared folder tap, found it, and rejoined, and got everything back. At this moment, all my computers are trying to download about 20gb worth of photos and videos.

I would like to know why this happened.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    trjr New member | Level 2
    Donald J.2 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    William R.4 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?