cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a shared link be deleted, if the sender deletes the file from their account?

Will a shared link be deleted, if the sender deletes the file from their account?

LisaBB
Explorer | Level 3

When sent a link from an external party and I "save to [my] dropbox", does that link stay there permanently or will it disappear if the external party deletes the file from their dropbox? Is there an optimum way to save material sent via links? We have dropbox for business.

3 Replies 3

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @LisaBB, thanks for posting your query to our Community.

Indeed, if the person that sent you the link, deletes the file from their account, the link will break and you won't be able to access the file anymore.

As for downloading the files, you can either directly download them to your computer through the browser, or you can save them to your Dropbox. 

The latter will upload the files to your account, so you can manually download them from our website, or sync them to your computer, if you're using the Dropbox application.

So, it really depends on the amount/size of files. For very large files, we'd recommend syncing them.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

LisaBB
Explorer | Level 3
Yes I’d like to know how to sync them to our account . I usually click on the link which opens the files and I choose save to my Dropbox, but some links recently disappeared

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@LisaBB wrote:
... I choose save to my Dropbox, but some links recently disappeared

Hi @LisaBB,

Person that shared link to you can remove link shared before or can remove file/folder shared before (after some time span the link will be invalidated too). Despite of, since you have saved the content in your Dropbox account, you still should be able access the content you saved before. 😉 Just take a look there, not on the link.

Hope this helps.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    LisaBB Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?