cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message from Dropbox about completing date of birth by 1st September or lose Family Plan Access

Message from Dropbox about completing date of birth by 1st September or lose Family Plan Access

Trimom62
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Does anyone know how to update account details with your date of birth 

the link to the article gives not details how to update your date of birth 

Hi andy, Due to recent regulations, you’ll be required to enter your date of birth starting September 1, 2021 to continue using Dropbox Family.

please can anyone help? 
thank you 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hunter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi all, sorry for jumping in.

I wanted to share the good news that the issue has been resolved.

Our team has been working hard on the matter, and everything should be back to normal now.

You can all enter your DOB, by following the link in the email that was sent.

Thank you for your feedback and reports.

Apologies for any frustration caused.

Hunter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

View solution in original post

93 Replies 93

Mike_Rawlins
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I spent an hour raking around the account settings and can't find anything so I contacted support via chat.

You have to wait for an email with a link, allegedly.

TL;DR

Chat

Hi there, how do I add a Date Of Birth to Dropbox? I'm tired of the constant nagging from the app, but I can't find anywhere to add it.

Me

Hi Michael! Thank you for contacting Dropbox Support. My name is Dawn, and I'll be more than happy to assist you today with your request.

If I understand correctly, you would like to add the date of birth. Sure! Let me look into this for you right away

Can you please tell me is there a link in the email notification you received?

Dawn

The link just goes to your help center which tells you that you will close the account if there is no DOB but not how to add it#

https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/plans-upgrades/dropbox-family-age-requirements?_ad=2000490...

All the bad things that will happen but not how to stop them happening.

I've spent too long on this already

Me

Okay, no worries! You will receive a further notification from Dropbox with instructions

I can deeply understand your concerns but you will be notifies with a different email, don't worry!

Dawn

Why not just update that page to tell people how to do it?

I pay £168 a year, I don't expect to be told that my account is going to be closed and not be able to resolve it

Me

I know where you come from and I will make sure to pass this on to my team

Dawn

I'm sure my subscription being cancelled won't damage the business but this is one easy way to lose a customer

Me

I'm really sorry for this inconvenience!

Is there anything else I could help you with today, before we close this chat?

Dawn

I'll just start downloading to OneDrive I think. I'm not sure I have confidence that my account won't get closed

Trimom62
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi there

thank you.

exactly my thoughts and response to the online chat with ‘support’ who obviously have no information and no idea.

ive set up a basic account tonight with different email details but will be downloading to somewhere else as a back up.

it’s a pain in the backside especially as I’m paying for a service which offers support! 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @Trimom62 & @Mike_Rawlins - thanks for posting on our Community and sharing your thoughts on this with us. 

While you won't be able to do this at the time, you'll get prompted on that date to confirm your age. 

For more information you can take a look at this Help Center article

Let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Trimom62
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for the info. and reply😁

a few thoughts come to mind

Does this affect every Dropbox user or just those on Family plan? 

How  are Dropbox going to know it’s a true DOB that’s been entered? 

The  article doesn’t give enough information, the word ‘May’  is in there and being advised a week before. 
There’s possibly ID needed? What if you’ve not got ID with you for DOB on that date, not everyone carries ID or needs to !
 Just seems shortsighted, not customer focussed and leaves we concerned for my data  and documents help on Dropbox. 

Mike_Rawlins
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@walter why keep pointing out all the bad things that will happen, accounts suspended, closed deleted etc. on 1 September, a week away, but not have the facility to fix it by adding a Date of Birth?

All you can do is keep sending us to the page that tells us you are going to delete our accounts if we don't comply with something that is impossible for us to comply with.

Surely implementing the DOB field first, say for new accounts, then a gentle nudge for existing users to update, THEN say to everyone, we are going to delete your account and all your data if you don't update. How about you make that a month or maybe three months, give people time to do stuff. If they want to add a DOB, great, if they don't give them time to download & migrate their data, don't forget, everything in Dropbox belongs to the users, not to you.

Telling your paying users they have to update something that by the response from support and your comment, is clearly not possible to update is not good enough.

If you can't implement this, how can I trust you with my data?

I pay Dropbox quite a lot of money each year and this is the level of support I get?

I could argue, I pay by a bank card so therefore I meet the minimum age requirements, this is verifiable, rather than the random date most users will enter, when you sort your stuff out.....

craigtipple
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I am finding this deeply stressful too. My partners account in our family room has just been closed - no email was sent with a link asking them to verify their age. I have not received a link. Contacted support and was told i’d be emailed. Nothing. What am I supposed to do? I have years of stuff saved in dropbox. Really worried. This implementation has been a complete miscommunicated omnishambles.

Spolto
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same here, I've had the email asking me to "enter your age" but there is no where that I can find to actually enter my age!

This is shocking given the implications of not complying!

Trimom62
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've had an email to add my DOB and there4s no option anywhere.  I've contacted support  and see their reply

07:21:24 ) Visitor: I’ve just had an email to input my date of birth to my account
( 07:21:40 ) Ray: Hi thank you for contacting Dropbox Support. My name is Ray, and I'll be glad to assist you with your request right away.
( 07:21:47 ) Visitor: I’ve clicked on the link but there is nowhere to add it
( 07:22:08 ) Ray: I understand that you received an email that you may need to confirm your date of birth on your Dropbox account
( 07:22:18 ) Visitor: yes
( 07:22:19 ) Ray: No worries, if that's necessary, the system will automatically prompt you to enter the DoB
( 07:22:44 ) Visitor: but the email is telling me to input it
( 07:23:21 ) Visitor: there are already messages on the community board that accounts are being deleted without being asked to add their date of birth
( 07:24:06 ) Ray: No worries, accounts aren't being deleted -- when such an update is required, the system always has a grace period in place
( 07:24:41 ) Visitor: How does the system know if I need to add my DOB?
( 07:25:44 ) Ray: If it doesn't have it on file, then it'll be necessary to enter it
( 07:25:52 ) Ray: Are we still connected?
( 07:26:09 ) Visitor: yes
( 07:26:40 ) Visitor: Can you check if you have my date of birth
( 07:27:17 ) Ray: I'm afraid such information isn't available on my console for privacy reasons
( 07:27:26 ) Visitor: The email definitely says I need to add my dob
( 07:27:28 ) Ray: But I'll be happy to escalate the issue, so that we can investigate internally and notify you
( 07:27:35 ) Ray: In order to escalate your request, I'll have to switch us over to email, and create a support ticket for you -- would that be alright with you?
( 07:28:04 ) Visitor: Yes
( 07:28:14 ) Ray: Excellent, will do!
( 07:28:16 ) Ray: Could I lend a hand with anything else, before switching over to email?
( 07:28:45 ) Visitor: I’ll also need the same for the other plan member
( 07:28:58 ) Visitor: although as yet he hasn’t had an email
( 07:29:33 ) Ray: They'll need to contact us directly when they do receive an email, and if they don't get an update form upon sign in
( 07:29:51 ) Visitor: Ok
( 07:30:27 ) Ray: Could I assist with anything else, before switching escalating?
( 07:30:43 ) Visitor: No thank you do you need my email address
( 07:30:52 ) Ray: Happy to help! No worries, we got it on record
( 07:30:58 ) Ray: Thank you for chatting in. I'll send you a summary of our chat via email, and escalate

craigpay
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm also finding this stressful! I'm a long-standing customer, years now, and I'm paying the £168 subscription for a Family account. I have two sons about to leave for university. Trying to deal with issues moving our DropBox data around after they've left would be a nightmare. I'm organised, DropBox, why aren't you?

I've spoken to DropBox support several times. They told me that my date of birth will only be needed after the 1st September and that I will receive an email with instructions... Well, it's now the 1st September and guess what? Yep, I've just received another mildly threatening email demanding my date of birth. Same links to the same generic page with no detailed instructions where to enter my date of birth. And another link that just takes me to my DropBox account. And the email is now telling me in BOLD that I must enter my date of birth NOW. Really? How? Is my account about to be closed down?

Seriously considering a pre-emptive move to OneDrive.

DropBox, you are idiots. I've worked in the IT industry for 25 years. This is not how you do 'customer retention'.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Brandon Squire New member | Level 2
    AllThisnTrvlToo Helpful | Level 6
    Len L.2 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?