cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refunds after end of service

Refunds after end of service

borft
Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

I'm on a paid Dropbox plan, and have recently been contacted with the news you will be discontinuing service on my computers. Does anybody know about refunds plans?

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Refunds after end of service

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there Mike ( @borft) - how are you today?

First off, note that in general we don't provide refunds accept where required by law. Even in that case, you'd need to log a ticket with our support team and ask directly. 

Having said that, could you please let me know what's your current setup on your computers?  

Just to recap here, note that the supported file systems are NTFS for Windows, HFS+ or APFS for Mac, and Ext4 for Linux. The application will only be able to sync the Dropbox folder to a drive that matches up with the operating system per these requirements

I hope this helps to some extent and let me know if there's anything else I can do from my end to assist with this. Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there Mike ( @borft) - how are you today?

First off, note that in general we don't provide refunds accept where required by law. Even in that case, you'd need to log a ticket with our support team and ask directly. 

Having said that, could you please let me know what's your current setup on your computers?  

Just to recap here, note that the supported file systems are NTFS for Windows, HFS+ or APFS for Mac, and Ext4 for Linux. The application will only be able to sync the Dropbox folder to a drive that matches up with the operating system per these requirements

I hope this helps to some extent and let me know if there's anything else I can do from my end to assist with this. Thanks! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

borft
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Walter,

Thank you for your swift response.  I have been a long time paying Dropbox customer and am deeply disappointed by this move. I don't understand what you are doing, as you're basically alienating your loyal users. Furthermore, having read the new system requirements, I really don't understand why you would limit the requirements to only ext4, as most of the main filesystems on Linux support extended attributes, which is also attested by the many different configurations currenly in use by Linux users.

I for one am running on a number of Linux machines, with ZFS and ecryptfs. Running on non-encrypted ext4 is really not an option for me. Additionally, the features provided by a simple filesystem as compared to ZFS are almost non-existent. There's no volume management, redundancy, error correction, etc. Which is really not a problem, but I like to make my choice of filesystem based on the feature I need, and not based on some dumb PM who doesn't have a clue about Linux.

I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure, that over here in the EU consumers have a lot more protection than in the US. If you sell me a service, you cannot change that service in a way that makes it unusable for me, within reason of course, without offering me any form of compensation.

To me this choice strikes me as a weird move. I'd rather not have to move away from Dropbox and look for an alternative, as I have always been quite content with Dropbox, both personally as well as professionally.

Wouldn't it be possible to offer functionality to filesystems, that have the required feature set, like extended attributes, perhaps with less official support? I'm quite sure that would result in a much better reception by the community, than bluntly stating that you're completely droppping support for a large part of the users.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thank you for the speedy and elaborate response too Mike ( @borft)! 

Kindly note that we regularly release new versions of the Dropbox application to bring you additional features, better performance, and security enhancements as we are committed to providing the best cross-platform experience to as many users as possible. 

We are ending support for some configurations so we can focus on delivering improvements and new features for customers’ most common system configurations.

Please note that your data in Dropbox is safe, but you will not be able to access it through the Dropbox desktop application unless you are using a supported file system for your Dropbox folder ( ext4 in this case). 

If you do not wish to or cannot update your file system, all your files will still be available through other compatible computers with supported file systems, through supported mobile devices, and on the Dropbox website

In addition, Dropbox makes the security of your data our highest priority. We support full disk encryption systems, such as LUKS for Linux users; Ecrypfts is not supported though. 

In closing, I wanted you to know that I understand this is not optimal and I will make sure that your commnets are passed along to our devs for consideration - thanks for this feedback. 

Let me know if there's anything else I can do!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

TonyMcConnell
Helpful | Level 5

I think the original poster has a valid point. I too use ZFS and am now going to have seek an alternative service provider, which is a shame. ZFS is hardly 'uncommon'.

borft
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Walter,

It's been a while, and I haven't seen any updates from Dropbox. Have you guys come to your senses to provide a usable solution for the Linux community? Or are you seriously going to get rid of all of your customers that use different filesystems, for no reason at all? (and don't give me the extended attributes BS, because that is simply a plain lie!)

And no, reformatting my filesystem to an inferior solution, because you make stupid and idiotic design choices is not a usable solution!

Let me also add, that while you claim to support encryption solutions like LUKS, in fact you don't you simply support EXT4. If I have a layer of encryption below that, it's completely transparent to dropbox, and as such there's nothing to support. You might as well claim you support ZFS as well. If one were to create  a lopoback device with ext4 on a ZFS volume., that would probably work as well, does that mean dropbox supports it? I don't think so.

In fact looking at system architecture, why would an application need so "support" a filesystem at all? Seems this should be handeled at operating system level. The application merely has to rely on system calls being available, that's it. The moment an application in user-space starts to distinguish between file systems, you should seriously consider sending your system architects back to school!

Walter
Dropboxer

Apologies for any frustration this might have caused @borft.

I also wanted to thank you for this feedback. Positive or negative, we are always looking for our users' input when creating the next version of the Dropbox desktop application so  I will make sure all of your comments are passed along to our development team.

If there's anything else I can do for you, please let me know. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

borft
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Walter, 

This story is getting weirder by the day. I now have received another email from DropBox, telling me to move my Dropbox folder, that contains a list of 3 systems, out of which two are running on ext4. One of them is plain ext4, the other is ext4 on top of LUKS. Yet, that still doesn't appear to be good enough.

Can you guys get your **bleep** together please?

Mike

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear that @borft - have you unlinked all of your old instances from your account's security page?

If you received a notification, but are running one of the supported file systems (ext4 on top of LUKS is supported), it's possible that you may have recently had a computer linked that was running an unsupported file system which has since been upgraded, or that computer is no longer being used - you can unlink those directly from your Security page by clicking the "X" next to the devices' names - these can be found below your active web sessions on the same page. 

Let me know what you find! Oh and happy Monday Mike. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

borft
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Walter,

It seems you guys have finally pulled the trigger. Dropbox sync on my laptop had been actively broken by a pushed update, Dropbox is refusing to start-up, because it doesn't like the filesystem I am using.

Very sorry to see this, as this basically disqualifies you guys as a reliable business partner (for not working on mainstream configurations, breaking a working and paid for configuration and NOT providing any solutions). I am yet to hear any reason at all why this would be necessary, and/or how it would benefit me (as a long-time paying customer) in any way. (and don't give me the stability/marketing crap, I'd like to hear a sound, technical reason)

There is no work around, other than to do a reinstall of my computer, in order to make Dropbox work. Even though Dropbox was working fine.

I hope you guys realise that us Linux users don't just use it on our personal systems, but also profesionally. You can be **bleep** sure you will not only lose our business, but also that of the places we work at.

Deeply disappointed in the lack of communication and solutions provided by Dropbox' end.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

emeyer Helpful | Level 5
    mesomatt New member | Level 2
    borft Helpful | Level 6
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?