cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to delete my account - no option available in General setting

Want to delete my account - no option available in General setting

audrey smondack
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I want to delete my account and everything, doc anfd files related BUT unlike what it is said in help center there NO "delete account" option in General settings. Please procede ASAP !!

I'm furious I cannot simply delete in a click. This is my right as a user so I would appreciate this to be done right away.

28 Replies 28

Michael123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The option to delete does not appear. I mentioned this in my first message. Can someone from Dropbox help please?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Michael123!

If you're not seeing the option to delete your account then it could be due to your account's current plan. You can check out your plan from here.

If you're account is currently on a paid plan, your account will need to downgrade to the Basic plan before you can delete it.

Otherwise, if you account is Basic then it may be that it's part of a free team. This can happen if the account was part of a Business trial at one point.

In this case, you can check out the steps on how to leave the team here so that you can delete the account.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

chriscampbell
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

All the instructions say go to Settings, then General, then Delete Account.  The problem is I don't have an option to Delete Account.  I can't see it anywhere.  Is there something missing or is there something I have to do before the Delete option shows up?  I think my account is just a personal account but I can't find where to confirm that.  If it's an advanced account how do I find that and delete the account?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for posting @chriscampbell!

When you have the chance, please check out my previous post here and let me know if that info helps.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

chriscampbell
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you Daphne.  I checked my account and it's a Basic account.  I also work for myself so there's no team that I could have ever been a member of.  Is there another way?  

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the update @chriscampbell.

Would you mind sending me a screenshot of your plan page?

If you ever tried out a Business trial, your account could have been reverted to a free team after the trial expired. 

In this case, the account would show as Basic, but just underneath it would also show "A member of xyz account".

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

chriscampbell
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you Daphne.  I don't see how to attached my screen shot.   Under the Dropbox Basic is does say "You’re a member of the Chris F Dropbox account.

Does that help or how do I send you the print screen.  The reply button to your post is grayed out so I can't use that either. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @chriscampbell, thanks for reaching back to us. 

If you have any trouble attaching an image in your response, you can always send us a shared link of it. 

Keep us posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

JGW19
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am trying to delete and old Basic account that I no longer use and I have followed the instructions for deleting an account but when I go to Settings/General, there is no option for "delete account"

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @JGW19, thanks for posting on the Dropbox Community!

I moved your post here, where other users have expressed a similar issue. 

When you have the chance, check out what is suggested and let us know if you have any trouble along the way. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely weekend ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ocr New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    Rich Super User II
    confused user New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?