cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can edit option does not appear when sharing file

Can edit option does not appear when sharing file

Will94
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
When I attempt to share a file. The only access option I have is view only. Where is the can edit option.
The recipient has a regular Dropbox account.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

The ability to edit is only available when sharing a folder. If you're sharing a file only, the view option will be the only one available.

If you need to give edit access to a file, put the file in a folder and share the folder.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

The ability to edit is only available when sharing a folder. If you're sharing a file only, the view option will be the only one available.

If you need to give edit access to a file, put the file in a folder and share the folder.

BREMY
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I think the answer is not completely exact. It remais possible to have a file shared with "can edit". But I wonder if this option is available only after the destination user was accepting the share proposition. Then you can change the access properties to that file with "Can Edit" becoming available

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @BREMY, thanks for joining us here!

What Rich mentioned is indeed correct, with the exception of Microsoft Office files which can be shared individually with "can edit" rights. If the file is any other file type, then you can only share individual files with "can view" rights.

In the latter case, you can place the files within a folder and share the folder with edit rights as Rich suggested.

I hope this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Filefoal
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thats such a silly and restrictive limitation!! Is there a reason for this?! Why cannot individual files be shared with edit permissions?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Filefoal Explorer | Level 3
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    BREMY New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?