cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

FAILED: Selective Sync feature is a complete JOKE!!

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Dear Dropbox person reading this message, if you are not in the management team, please pass this message along to your CEO.

Dear Dropbox Management Team,

I have been a Dropbox user / promoter since your first year, way too long ago, and I have been paying for an account for many years. I honestly can't remember how long it's been.

So PLEASE listen and TAKE IMMEDIATE ACTIONS on this complaint, because you (Dropbox Management) have COMPLETELY DROPPED THE BALL in this area.

As some of you may have noticed, some laptops (like MacBooks, etc) do NOT have big HD's installed. A common size is around 128/256GB SSDs.

Therefore, by pure necessity, your users/paying customers HAVE TO USE YOUR SELECTIVE SYNC FEATURE on their laptop as it may NOT have enough space for all their Dropbox files.

I am one of them, as I just had to reinstall Dropbox on a new laptop over the last few days, the second time in short succession, and LET ME TELL YOU, INSTALLING AND SETTING UP DROPBOX IS A COMPLETE PAIN [Profanity removed by moderator]

Or perhaps it's just the way it is on Mac OS X, since I haven't tried on Windows.

These are the PROBLEMS THAT NEED IMMEDIATE FIXING (IMMEDIATE == TODAY!!!!):

1) The Dropbox Preference window is stuck above all other windows on OS X. [Profanity removed by moderator] Come on, that's just really shameful programming on your part! FIX IT TODAY!!! NO EXCUSES, NO BS and NO DELAYS, JUST DO IT TODAY, please!!

2) In the Selective Sync UI, which is very badly designed, your software SERIOUSLY STRUGGLES to even display a list of top-level folders. It can take up to 10-30 minutes on my system for some folders to appear in this list, and this includes sub-levels.

And heaven forbid that you change level / folder and then come back to the same one again, because now we have to go through the same crap again. [Profanity removed by moderator]

Yet, when I use your website, all the top-level folders are displayed in seconds together with the files! And this works with sub-levels equally well.

And why does Selective Sync in your app NOT show the files in the list?? Completely illogical!

Please explain fully and honestly what the logical reasons are for this situation other than completely sub-standard programming on the part of the Dropbox app on OS X. Please also explain why this situation is still not fixed after so many years!

3) Dropbox Selective Sync is behaving like the equivalent of a village moron in a networked environment, for no obvious logical reasons. Again, it appears to be extremely poor programming.

What do I mean? Well, my laptop is connected to my local network where I also have two other computers that are partly synced to the same Dropbox account. So Selective Sync should connect to these two local sources and copy the selected files from them, which would take minutes, instead of VERY SLOWLY downloading them from the Internet connection, which is NOT done even overnight.

I make the assumption that the Dropbox app must store its state somehow, and therefore should know how "old" the locally requested files are. ie: when the file/folder was last synced with Dropbox on the particular.

Now, perhaps you will come with excuses relating to firewalls blocking, privacy etc and so on. In any such situation, competent developers would properly inform the end-user of these issues / concerns and then allow the end-user to make the decision they wish.

Again, please explain fully and honestly what the logical reasons are for this situation.

Please note, even if my system(s) are "wrongly set-up" or "interfering with your process" it is still your fault for NOT making this "fact" fully known to the end-user.

4) Selecting folders in Selective Sync is completely screwed-up too.

Here's a real example. Last night I selected two folders inside a bigger top-level folder that I needed to work on this morning. In order to get these folders to download on to my laptop I had to set it to NOT SLEEP all night in the Energy Saver preferences.

But, guess what happened this morning, which got me so bloody angry I could do physical harm to someone.

Dropbox, the moron app, had downloaded a load of other folders in that top-level folder, which were NOT selected or chosen by me, and had NOT downloaded the two folders I wanted and had selected. [Profanity removed by moderator]

This type of crap is just inexcusable and should not happen ever!

On a quick inspection it appears that some of those folders are selected (synced up) with one of my other systems. But the selection of synced folders should be entirely on a per installed location basis and not on any other basis.

Please explain fully and honestly what caused this failure in the logic of your app, and please provide some answers as to what you will do immediately to ensure it won't happen again.

5) Selective Sync during Dropbox installation

During the installation process, you should be able to query the Dropbox system for the amount of data stored there (xxGB) for the account and then measure the available space on the HD of the installed system (yyGB), and then do the following simple calculation and if/else flow: (pseudo ruby code)

avail_space = yyGB - n # (n = 10% of total HD capacity as most users need some space to install/save other things)

if xxGB > avail_space
# automatically enter into Selective Sync setup!!!
# display MUCH IMPROVED Selective Sync UI
else
# Ask if user wish to perform Selective Sync before proceeding
end

In fairness to you, your installer does part of this, but very badly. Why??

6) Why is Selective Sync hidden away on a button inside the Preferences window five (5) clicks away?

Surely, there is space for a "Selective Sync" menu item underneath "Pause Syncing" in the cog-wheel pop-up menu, so why not add it there?

7) What is needed to improve the Selective Sync UI?

a) IMMEDIATELY REMOVE THE DROPDOWN SHEET NONSENSE!! Make Selective Sync into a bigger proper window that can be resized, minimised, etc.

Perhaps you have seen some recent iMac's or other big sized screens?? With them in mind, what is the logic behind using 5-30% of available screen space to the most important task your user / customer is doing when they are using Selective Sync??? It's completely illogical!

Look at [Dash App](https://kapeli.com/) for an example of how to do a menubar icon with a big properly working modal window. I'm sure you can buy his time and skills if you can't do it in-house.

b) Convert the Selective Sync into a functional UI, instead of the current failed UI.

If need be, make it a Web UI, since the website stuff works faster and better than the current UI does anyway. Besides a HTML version should be fairly easy to design and implement since you already have much of that functionality in the "Download" function on the website.

While I'm at it, why on earth should I have to use my browser to restore a previous version of a file??? That's illogical too.

c) In the UI show the file / folder sizes and number of items within a folder. When a user is using Selective Sync, it is most likely due to space limitations, and the actual size of a file/folder is very important to them. I hope you agree with that??

Yet, the existing Selective Sync shows none of this important info. Nothing! (Since you can calculate the total size of an account, you must surely know the individual file/folder sizes and how many items there are in a folder too?) Hint: most OS's actually calculate this info for you automagically and all you have to do is send the info in the upload and store it. Good enough for you??

OK, that's the stuff I need to get off my chest today. I have patiently been a customer for a long time, I have generated many other customers for you and I have never complained. But today, due to your failures, my silence have ended and my patience is gone forever in regards to your shortcomings.

I fully expect the Dropbox management team to read and reply to this message. Let us have an honest open debate about this key feature in your software solution.

Please don't hide away, cover up, ignore or chose to do nothing about it, because the issues I have raised affects the long-term viability of your company in a much more competitive environment.

Dropbox is not the only game in town, so if you don't care about this and do not address these BIG problems, then you are essentially giving your customer(s) an ugly finger straight in their face. That's never good for business!

Thanks for your time and attention. You have my contact details and are welcome to contact me anytime for clarifications or further feedback.

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: FAILED: Selective Sync feature is a complete JOKE!!

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Dear Dropbox Management,

I humbly wish to put on record that there have been no official response to the above important feedback for ten (10) days now.  

That is apart from Ed's response in this thread "NO SUPPORT in 3 DAYS!!!" and moderation by a (un-paid?) forum user.

Today, I again have the great displeasure of installing Dropbox and performing a Selective Sync on my new MacBookPro (which arrived this morning).  As described above, that is an excruciating experience

This time I'm documenting the experience with screenshots. I considered using Screen Recording (video) with Quicktime, but more than one (1) hour of screen video would take too much hard disk space.

Guess what I'm downloading (syncing) from Dropbox.  One (1) selected folder that contains three (3) other selected folders comprising an amazing 29.8MB in size.

Yes, that is a folder "1Password" (18.7MB) and a folder "Totals" (11MB) and a folder "Dash" (62KB) that are all available on three (3) other Macs with the same Dropbox account on my local network and "LAN Sync" enabled on all of them.

TIME REQUIRED BY DROPBOX:  1 hour and 28 minutes!!  (From 16:01 to 17:29)

SPLENDID, FANTASTIC, REALLY WELL DONE, DROPBOX!! (sarcastically said)

So, again I humbly ask the kind masters of this unfortunate software solution and poor service to respond with some feedback and some plans on how YOU (yes, you are paid to do this) are supposed to relieve this pain from your paying customers.

Your silence in this matter will most definitely be considered as a negative and disrespectful action against paying customer(s) that have raised a valid and important issue.

As always, you have my contact details in your system, and I am 100% certain that someone within the Dropbox management does know how to respond by email, or in this forum.

So I eagerly await your actual response on this matter!

@Ed:  Could you please remind those very busy people in the management about this thread and my humble wish for a real response.

No offence intended to your response, but it's far from dealing with the issues raised above or exhaustive.

Again, thank you for your time and attention.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Dear Dropbox Management,

Just as a quick reference point to the above feedback.

On the same computer with the same network using Sync.com it took roughly six (6) minutes to download / sync 1,202 files totalling 43.5MB in size.

The Dropbox download mentioned above was for 458 files totalling 32.2MB, which took 1 hour and 28 minutes to download/sync.  (this includes 11 files totalling less than 2MB that were not selected but existed in the root folder)

So the competitive comparison that should scare Dropbox immensely, is the following:

Sync:  1,202 files @ 43.5MB in roughly 6 minutes.

Dropbox: 458 files @ 33.2MB in roughly 88 minutes.  14 x SLOWER!!

Please note!! I have no affiliation with Sync.com nor do I receive any benefit for mentioning Sync.com in this forum or anywhere else.

I am simply trying to wake up some "sleeping" people inside the upper management of Dropbox that are probably out of touch or deluded about their success, or just simply don't care. 

The history of Kodak and Nokia and Blackberry comes to mind. Perhaps it is time for some individuals to study history. They say it teaches us important things.

Again, thank you for your time and attention.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi again Mats,

As we've previously spoken, your thoughts and feedback have been shared with our engineers already. 

There's a vast discussion about sync speeds here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/201863435-Slow-Upload-Speeds-Why- and as you can see, several reasons outside of Dropbox's scope that could affect speed. 

We thrive to have the best sync and share application in the world and we want to ensure it works seamless across any device on any OS. 

Thanks again for being here (and special thanks for not cursing! )

Ed

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hi Ed,

I humbly wish to put on record that it is now 26 May, 2016, more than 10 weeks since I wrote my first complaint on this issue on this forum.

To date, not a single Dropbox staff have provided me with an answer to my questions or addressed the main complaint.

In simple words:  Dropbox have no interest in resolving the issues raised.

Your empty platitudes, such as "We thrive to have the best sync and share application in the world and we want to ensure it works seamless across any device on any OS." are nothing but just empty talk!!

By the way, did you mean to write "try" instead of "thrive", because it does not make any sense what you wrote.

If there was any substance behind it, you (Dropbox) would have fixed the issues raised, you would have responded to me privately, even with an NDA to protect your top secret BS, and you (Dropbox) would have long ago fixed the "locked window" issue I raised above.

But Ed, let us be positive here.

I believe Dropbox have grown into a big company with lots of users so you do not need to worry about the small people that helped you get there in the first place.

You also don't need to worry about them being unhappy or going elsewhere because you (Dropbox) "thrive" on doing great work every single day.

But Ed, the most positive thing of all is something great called competition. It's going to sort out the problem(s) you have with customers like me, because these horrible customers can move on to better things and no longer worry about your (Dropbox) shortcomings.

That is just so positive I'm all excited. Aren't you??

I wish you good luck and hope you can find a new job peddling empty platitudes when Dropbox reaches its inevitable fate and start sacking people in order to survive a bit longer.

Don't say we didn't warn you, or you "didn't see it coming"!

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Selective Sync is broken. I have the same problem.  The file selection window only picks up a handfull of sub-folders under each folder.  CAN'T this be FIXED???  I'm paying over $100/year.  Get it right or I'm cancelling ad going to  Google....FIX IT NOW!!!

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
Mike - give it time to download (sometime LOTS of time). I've found it can take an awfully long time to download all of the directories.

That said. To cancel you can do so at www.dropbox.com/downgrade

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?