cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you're up against the clock to get holiday ready, so here are some tips on how to use Dropbox to make your prep easy! Check them out!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files missing from both drive and cloud, no trace in history, exist in events but links empty

Files missing from both drive and cloud, no trace in history, exist in events but links empty

Adam1337
New member | Level 2

1. Tried to open file I know I kept in one of synchronised folders, but did not find it.

2. Checked online in Dropbox, no luck, file disappeared as well.

3. Checked deleted files - no luck, missing.

4. Checked event log - yes, marked as added 2021-10-18 23:18 so should be covered by 30 days history

5. Size shows correctly, but when truying to download I get file with 0 size.

6. The same for previous versions of the same file - same story, file added, empty when attempting to download, all missing from both drive and "Deleted" folder.

Any idea how I should proceed? Obviously files were added to the drive (according to event log), less than 30 days ago, cannot recover them. Also I do not recall deleteing anything permamently from either hard drive nor cloud.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Files missing from both drive and cloud, no trace in history, exist in events but links empty

Adam1337
New member | Level 2

Actually I just solved my issue by a little "hacking".

I guessed the proper link by going to:

https://www.dropbox.com/history/[foldername]/[filename.pptx]?_subject_uid=[got from another link] and there it was. Downloaded and backed up to another cloud just in case.

I still do not see that file in "Deleted" (or anywhere at all in the web interface except from event history), still cannot download from event history. 

Hope this helps other users in the same situation.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: Files missing from both drive and cloud, no trace in history, exist in events but links empty

Adam1337
New member | Level 2

Actually I just solved my issue by a little "hacking".

I guessed the proper link by going to:

https://www.dropbox.com/history/[foldername]/[filename.pptx]?_subject_uid=[got from another link] and there it was. Downloaded and backed up to another cloud just in case.

I still do not see that file in "Deleted" (or anywhere at all in the web interface except from event history), still cannot download from event history. 

Hope this helps other users in the same situation.

View solution in original post

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Adam1337 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?