cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I choose which folders from different accounts to sync to my computer?

Highlighted

How can I choose which folders from different accounts to sync to my computer?

Explorer | Level 4

I manage a Basic DB acct for a volunteer club (at the club email address), which is shared with other club members. I have the DB app downloaded on my laptop, so this seems to be the primary account which syncs to the C:/DB folder.  That's fine most of the time.  

However, I also have my own Basic Personal DB acct (at my personal email address) where I want SOME docs/files to sync to. 

HOW can I choose which account certain doc/files should be synced to??  (I don't want my personal docs/files to be synced to the club account, as is the case currently).

Can anyone help me solve this dilema?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Folder Sync issue

Dropboxer

Hey @CyTodd, just jumping in here!

Since both of the accounts are Basic accounts I'm afraid you won't be able to sync both at the same time through the desktop app, even if you'd only like to sync specific folders from each.

To be able to sync more than one account through the desktop app, one account would need to be a Business (Standard or Advanced) and the other a personal account (Basic, Plus, or Professional).

If you'd like to switch between the account that is currently synced, you would need to unlink the account currently connected to the app with these steps and then connect the new account by signing back into the desktop app with the other credentials

However, please bear in mind that the Dropbox folder will remain on the computer. So, to avoid data from one account being added to the other, when you unlink you'll also need to delete or rename the Dropbox folder on your computer before signing back into an account.

This will stop the app from reconnecting to that Dropbox folder when you sign into the other account and uploading the files to the account by mistake.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @CyTodd,

Take a look here. It's almost the same. 😉

Hope this helps.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Almost, but not quite... but thanks for trying...

Let me restate the question more clearly:

I have one basic account under a professional/club email address.  I manage this account (share club documents with other club members) and I connect to it via the laptop application.  This seems to be the account that automatically syncs with the local Dropbox folder on my laptop.

I have another basic account under my personal email address.  I want to be able to choose this account, from time to time, to sync with a local/personal folder on my laptop, where I store personal documents (not to be shared with club members).

So, is it possible to have two local folders on my laptop, one for the club, one for personal, that I can choose (even manually) to sync with the correct Dropbox account?  I think this is my question.  I hope it's clearer this time?

Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@CyTodd wrote:

Almost, but not quite...

Yes, you are using your private and (how to say) a community account; on referred thread the second account is used by... wife. 😀 So, if you ask for possible use a private (in the particular case 'Basic') account in other way, Yes, you can, although not recommended by Dropbox. I left with impression the focus of your question is on possible use of 2 (or more) private accounts, like 'Basic', on same machine. Am I right? 😉 If not, clarify what you really mean. In this context, in both cases there are 2 basic accounts need to be accessed on a single machine! Everything, already said, is fully applicable. So what is "not quite"? 🤔 Your clarification above doesn't add anything new.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Forgive me for saying this, but your replies are very, very difficult to understand.  My clarification message was simply my way of being nice, willing to accept that perhaps I wasn't clear in my first message.  I tried to clarify because I can see that English isn't your first language, so that's why I was trying to be nice as well.  But, you've complicated the issue by (how to say) changing my terminology and asking if the the second account being "used by... wife"?  Sorry, not even close.  I am a woman, and the second is account is being used by me, as well as the club account, both being used by me.  Both are basic Dropbox accounts.  And yes, both accounts are being used on the same machine.  You might be a super collaborator, but not this time.  Thanks for trying.  I give up.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey @CyTodd, just jumping in here!

Since both of the accounts are Basic accounts I'm afraid you won't be able to sync both at the same time through the desktop app, even if you'd only like to sync specific folders from each.

To be able to sync more than one account through the desktop app, one account would need to be a Business (Standard or Advanced) and the other a personal account (Basic, Plus, or Professional).

If you'd like to switch between the account that is currently synced, you would need to unlink the account currently connected to the app with these steps and then connect the new account by signing back into the desktop app with the other credentials

However, please bear in mind that the Dropbox folder will remain on the computer. So, to avoid data from one account being added to the other, when you unlink you'll also need to delete or rename the Dropbox folder on your computer before signing back into an account.

This will stop the app from reconnecting to that Dropbox folder when you sign into the other account and uploading the files to the account by mistake.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you Daphne,  This really helped clarify and answered my question.  Appreciate your help.  Cy

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?