cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I removed a huge shared access Dropbox folder, but my hard drive free space didn't increase

I removed a huge shared access Dropbox folder, but my hard drive free space didn't increase

pazul
Helpful | Level 5

I'm new to the forum but not at all new to Dropbox — i've been a customer since the early days.

My question: I've been on a project where I joined two very large shared folders that had a lot of video files. My hard drive space steadily decreased as new project files were added and those folders grew, but I figured I'd be fine since I was only temporary to the project. I finished the project today, and did the normal 'Remove My Access' from the shared folders, fully expecting my free hard drive space to return. 

It did not.

What gives? I emptied the trash, restarted, looked to see that the files were gone (they are)  — nothing works.   Can someone please explain/help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: I removed shared access but my hard drive is still depleted

pazul
Helpful | Level 5

OK, I figured out what was wrong.  Dropbox saves recently deleted files for a period of time. So even though I had synched with Dropbox as normal, the files remained in a hidden folder cache.  Displaying hidden folders (Mac) is pretty easy, just hold down Command + Shift + the period key (.) — did that and voila, there they were. Manually deleted them again and emptied the trash and the hard disk free space returned to normal.

"Dropbox stores a cache to help with logging and with undo-ing accidental deletions. This means, however, that when you delete something, it is not gone right away. This cache stores things for approximately 3 days, but if you want to get rid of things sooner than that, you can manually delete things."

Link to full article 

Dropbox documentation at:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/cache-folder

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: I removed shared access but my hard drive is still depleted

pazul
Helpful | Level 5

OK, I figured out what was wrong.  Dropbox saves recently deleted files for a period of time. So even though I had synched with Dropbox as normal, the files remained in a hidden folder cache.  Displaying hidden folders (Mac) is pretty easy, just hold down Command + Shift + the period key (.) — did that and voila, there they were. Manually deleted them again and emptied the trash and the hard disk free space returned to normal.

"Dropbox stores a cache to help with logging and with undo-ing accidental deletions. This means, however, that when you delete something, it is not gone right away. This cache stores things for approximately 3 days, but if you want to get rid of things sooner than that, you can manually delete things."

Link to full article 

Dropbox documentation at:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/cache-folder

View solution in original post

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

pazul Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?