cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VERY SLOW Upload speed uploading files from Dropbox desktop app

VERY SLOW Upload speed uploading files from Dropbox desktop app

henryluk
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi there. can someone from the community/dropbox offical people please help:

It has been a few weeks already. Unacceptably slow upload speed when syncing files using Dropbox desktop app. I browsed through and tried your help centre suggestions and also the community people suggestions. Still very slow. Not helping.

I have a large 290Gb file and some 5-10Gb files to upload to Dropbox using the dropbox desktop app with my operating system windows 7 Ultimate. Drop box desktop app version is the latest one: 96.4.172. I am on Dropbox Pro plan with capacity 2Tb space. I have only used 15.5% of the space so far.

I did check the help centre. It says there is no file size limit when uploading using desktop app. So my file size should not be a problem. Also I have around 5500-6000 files in my Dropbox folder. I found a thread saying that if the dropbox folder has more than 300,000 files, it could slow down so again the number of files in my folder is not a problem.

Speedtest.net speed test showed my download speed is 100 Mbps (around 12,000 kB/s), upload speed is 20 Mbps (2500 kB/s). My dropbox upload speed has only been 50-100kB/s so it is way too slow. It takes too long to upload large files. Totally unacceptable given that my ISP upload speed is much higher.

So far I have tried the following:

Uninstall dropbox desktop app and install the dropbox desktop app. Still very slow upload speed. it is the latest version.

Unlink and link back to my dropbox account under the desktop app preferences. Still very slow upload speed.

Bandwidth tab under preferences, upload has been set to don’t limit already. I don't have a proxy server so the proxies tab is set to no proxies. my computer is 1Gb LAN cable linking to my high speed fibre optics router up to the internet. So it is not my LAN Wi-Fi problem.

I tried to chop my 290Gb file into a few 40Gb files then upload/sync with dropbox desktop app. Still very slow upload speed. So once again file size is not a problem.

I found a very recent (Feb 2020) community thread about very slow upload speed:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Ridiculously-slow-upload-speeds/m-p/395342#M14...

I followed the solution. I found my autotuninglevel=normal already. It has been set already. So the thread doesn’t help.

i have run out of options. Can someone please help? What else do you suggest? I have just paid my yearly Dropbox subscription fee in April so I really don't want to switch to another provider if this problem can be solved.

Thank you so much for your help.

Henry Luk

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

henryluk
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

hi Lusil

Thank you for your reply. I think I have solved the problem myself. I used another machine that had Windows 10 on it. I installed the Dropbox desktop app there and I linked it to my account. Then I copied the large file over there and tested the speed. It was my max upload speed when syncing. So the problem was that the latest version of dropbox desktop app was not compatible with my version of Windows 7.

If I have any problem again I will definitely open a ticket with the Support team.

Cheers

Henry

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @henryluk, thanks for checking in with us. 

Since you've already tried as much troubleshooting as possible - awesome work by the way! - could you also let me know if you've been in touch with our Support team from this page

If so, could you let me know the ticket ID (eg. #1234567) associated with it? 

Keep me posted, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

henryluk
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

hi Lusil

Thank you for your reply. I think I have solved the problem myself. I used another machine that had Windows 10 on it. I installed the Dropbox desktop app there and I linked it to my account. Then I copied the large file over there and tested the speed. It was my max upload speed when syncing. So the problem was that the latest version of dropbox desktop app was not compatible with my version of Windows 7.

If I have any problem again I will definitely open a ticket with the Support team.

Cheers

Henry

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Awesome work with the troubleshooting, @henryluk!

Of course, if you have any other questions, you can always reach out to us back here or get in touch with our Support team. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

harjot singh sandhu
Explorer | Level 4

hi, henry 

im facing the same issue and have gone through all possible solutions as you mentioned. Right now I'm using windows 10 and still facing this issue. could you give me solution for this ?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

harjot singh sandhu Explorer | Level 4
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    henryluk Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?