cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I download files and folders from Dropbox to my computer?

Why can't I download files and folders from Dropbox to my computer?

Wayne P.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am new!

this system as presently experienced is worthless ---so it can't be right? Can't download any folder or file unless through email

1)don't you have simple step by step instructions to download entire folder or pic without going through email
2)once email pic is received, there is no way to down load it --only drag to desktop giving an unacceptable file of 160kb per pic

where do i find instructions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Korky K. ,

Thanks for reaching out!

The "Downloads" folder is a default one where all the downloads you initiate from your browser go to. This is specific to your browser (and computer) settings and is not related to Dropbox. 

There are ways to change the default location of your (browser's) downloads depending on the one you use and you should be able to find more about how to do this using a web search. The option to change this can usually be found in your browser's preferences or advanced settings. 

I hope this helps! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

46 Replies 46

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there

Sorry for the delay - are you still having issues?

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

william b.41
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

my problem is simpler-can't download MP4s..they are there in the dropbox list but the option to download is not available. ISN'T THIS THE BASIC FUNCTION OF DROPBOX??!!  WTF?

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi William

For large files I'd advise you use the desktop client so it can sync smoothly with your computer. 

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Todd W.11
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Aside from using the Dropbox desktop client, what is the best way to download a file to my computer from the web client?

There is no obvious choice. I used to right-click and "download file" was an option. 

I have clients that prefer to attach documents via email, and are not comfortable using share links, etc... with people they send files to. 

Thanks!

Krishna C.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

>Doesn't show the download option . Why ? How to fix it ?</p>

JohnDropbox
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi guys,

The reason the download option doesn't appear and is replaced by the "Open" option is because these files are already on your computer. This is because you have the Dropbox software on your computer and these files are already in your Dropbox folder.

So if you press "Open" the folder will open on your computer. This saves you having to download a file that is already on your computer.

Todd W.11
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

It appears "Download" is back now. 

Thanks Ezio, it makes sense to open the file too, but I have some clients that cannot seem to wrap their heads around how Dropbox works and they were looking for an easy way to (re)download the file from the browser so they could attach to an email and were struggling finding a way to do that. 

It's possible these are the same non-tech people that struggle understanding how Finder/Explorer works and may never understand how to organize files on a computer. 🙂 I'm not sure what could be done to educate them. 

Hollie M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Please sos!   I am desperately trying to download a wave file into my work software from Dropbox.  It doesn't give me the download option, as it used to, so that I could select and download into my specific work software!  That the hell??? Is there anyway I can get the download function back?  And why did it change all of a sudden???!!!!

matt b.68
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

i want the option to download ANY file also. it seems really inconsistent. Im sure I used to be able to do this to any file. There are times when dropbox "thinks" the file its on my pc but it really isnt. Like when ive paused syncing, then forgotten its paused and broken a file. To revert and open previous version requires me to sync heaps of data

Australian internet means sometimes i cant work on the file i want. 1-2mb a second max in sydney on ADSL2+

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lulu4 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    trevor42 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?