cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox App won't stay connected

Dropbox App won't stay connected

JimFurman
Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox desktop app won't stay connected.  I have version 32.4.23.  When I point at the dropbox icon it will say "Connecting...".  I can save a file to the dropbox folder, the desktop app will connect and upload the file.  It will then disconnect and say "Connecting...".  I can go to the desktop website and find the updated file.  

The problem is, files located in folders that are shared and updated by other people won't download to my computer unless I exit Dropbox completely and restart the desktop app.  As soon as I restart the desktop app, any files that have been changed by other users will be downloaded to my computer.  I have to exit dropbox and restart the desktop app multiple times a day to ensure I have all the files updated by other people.

Talking with other people in my office, they are seeing the same issue where files updated by others are not being downloaded to their computer unless they exit the desktop app and restart it.  Files they save to Dropbox are being uploaded.

I have tried using other networks include my work network, home network, networks at restaurants, as well as a verizon hotspot.  This happens at all locations.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox App won't stay connected

Mark
Super User II

@JimFurman wrote:

If my computer or the firewall was blocking dropbox, could files be updated when changed or when Dropbox is restarted?

Yes..... I think its something to do with what servers and URL's its connecting to. 

I had the exact same issue at work where our filters blocked syncing but not initial index and any upload. 

What you are seeing is telltale signs that something on your machine (virus scanner etc.) is blocking, or rather, attempting to, Dropbox. The only difference is they are only blocking syncing - not everything. 

See this article for some help.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
Sounds like something on your machine is blocking Dropbox Jim.

Do you use Little Snitch or any firewalls / antivirus software? Thats usual cause.

In terms of the download thats to be expected I'm afraid as Dropbox isnt connected to the servers so is unaware that there is a change until it does its index and sync.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

JimFurman
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Mark.

Yes, I have a firewall at work, but not at my house.  Yes, I use antivirus.

If my system was blocking Dropbox, nothing would be getting through.  But that isn't the case.  As I said in my original post, I can save a file to a dropbox folder on my computer and dropbox will connect and upload the file.  I can also exit dropbox and restart it and files changed by others will be downloaded to my computer.  If my computer or the firewall was blocking dropbox, could files be updated when changed or when Dropbox is restarted?

Mark
Super User II

@JimFurman wrote:

If my computer or the firewall was blocking dropbox, could files be updated when changed or when Dropbox is restarted?

Yes..... I think its something to do with what servers and URL's its connecting to. 

I had the exact same issue at work where our filters blocked syncing but not initial index and any upload. 

What you are seeing is telltale signs that something on your machine (virus scanner etc.) is blocking, or rather, attempting to, Dropbox. The only difference is they are only blocking syncing - not everything. 

See this article for some help.

JimFurman
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Mark...

Mark
Super User II
Hope its sorted! 😄

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    JimFurman Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?