cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox not syncing selective sync folders

Dropbox not syncing selective sync folders

julienscherliss
New member | Level 2

I'm running windows 10 and after installing dropbox and choosing selective sync, the folders that are on the base level that I checked off are syncing but any folder that I have chosen to selective sync isn't showing up. I restarted dropbox, and I also uninstalled it and re-installed it to no avail. Any idea what's going on? The dropbox says everything is up to date.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox not syncing selective sync folders

Mark
Super User II
Its the special characters thats the issue - they are illegal characters in Windows

See www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Anastasios
Collaborator | Level 9

Have you tried to see if the files or folders are showing up on the web portal of dropbox ?

If you have unchecked the files or folders then they should be available only online and not locally at your desktop dropbox folder ... I think  😉

You should however be able to see all your files and folders by clicking on the little globe icon after you click on the taskbar dropbox icon 

Regards

Rich
Super User II

Anastasios wrote:

If you have unchecked the files or folders then they should be available only online and not locally at your desktop dropbox folder ... I think

Anastasios is correct. Any files you've unchecked in Selective Sync WILL NOT sync and will in fact be removed from your local hard drive. Those files are then only accessible via the website.

Just so we understand you correctly, what is it, exactly, that you're trying to accomplish?

Mark
Super User II
Hi julienscherliss.

As Anastasios said that is how its meant to work 🙂

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

julienscherliss
New member | Level 2

Yeah I have no problem seeing them online. I just tried to fully sync one of the folders that isn't selective syncing and it appears that doesn't work either... here's too screenshots to illustrate what's happening - I tried to sync "Projects Play" dropboxdropboxfile explorerfile explorer

Anastasios
Collaborator | Level 9

Might be a long shot but i would also recommend to keep the folder names simple if possible, without special characters and use only letters and/or numerics ( i see a vertical bar there ?)

Mark
Super User II
Its the special characters thats the issue - they are illegal characters in Windows

See www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check

julienscherliss
New member | Level 2

Thank You, this was totally the problem, just switched over to a PC from a Mac so I had no idea.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

julienscherliss New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    Anastasios Collaborator | Level 9
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?