cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox support for macOS 12.3

Dropbox support for macOS 12.3

Anna R.5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So I'm referring to https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/macos-12-monterey-support

Does this mean it will be 100% safe to upgrade to macOS 12.3 as long as I keep Smart sync to Local, please?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You can never ever say its 100% safe - simply because you'd be using a Beta OS and also a Beta version of Dropbox. However, it should work well, but, be cautious of the fact it is beta at all levels. 

I know previously at last minute notice Apple have changed how stuff worked in beta versions meaning stuff which used to work no longer did when updated to the next release so thats also something to be aware of. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

166 Replies 166

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You can never ever say its 100% safe - simply because you'd be using a Beta OS and also a Beta version of Dropbox. However, it should work well, but, be cautious of the fact it is beta at all levels. 

I know previously at last minute notice Apple have changed how stuff worked in beta versions meaning stuff which used to work no longer did when updated to the next release so thats also something to be aware of. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Anna R.5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you Mark 👍🏽😊🙏🏽

OK, I think I understand that this newsletter and article was referring to betas now.

I was thinking that it referred to 12.3 stable release when it's coming.

DeepLightnin
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

What about when Apple deploys the production (non-Beta) version of MacOS 12.3?  

If I accept the 12.3 upgrade, will I still be able to open my online only files via Finder?

Will there be any proactive communication from DropBox to guide Mac users through the current issue where MacOS 12.3 may not be compatible with the DropBox Legacy System Extension?

Thanks

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox has always had client ready releases upon releases of updated OS's. I cannot foresee any issues or changes this time. 

DBgreen1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Can you bring us any further clarification on the status of a macOS 12.3-compatible Dropbox, now we're nearly into mid-March and Apple is expected to announce the upgrade next week?

Will all Dropbox users be automatically notified when a compatible version is released?

Thank you.

misiektoja
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yep, exactly, Apple announced they will release 12.3 in few days and Dropbox communication is very weak. Can we safely upgrade to official 12.3 and new Dropbox will be available by then ? Or will there be some limitations ? Microsoft is handling it much better and their new OneDrive app is ready since some time.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi all - thanks for reaching out.

I just wanted to mention that we’re actively working on full support for macOS 12.3

In the meantime, you’ll still be able to open Dropbox files by double-clicking them in Finder. 

To make an online-only file available to open in third-party applications, use the following steps :

1. From Finder, Right-click(or control-click) the file you wish to open.
2. Select “Make available offline”

You should now be able to open your files without issue.

You can find more details in the dedicated  Help Center article

I hope this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

DBgreen1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Having purchased an M1 iMac a few months ago, I opted in to automatically receive Dropbox Apple Silicon beta updates.

I am currently on version 145.2.3154. Could it be this beta is already MacOS 12.3 compatible?

DBgreen1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've had TWO beta updates since that last post. Now up to 146.2.9.

So we must be getting close to D-Day!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cbonargent Helpful | Level 7
    innermotion Helpful | Level 5
    rfog Collaborator | Level 9
    Nunya_Business Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?