cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shut down computer once dropbox has finished syncing

Shut down computer once dropbox has finished syncing

James F.3
New member | Level 1

It would be useful if the computer could shutdown after syncing so that everything has been loaded up.

21 Replies 21

Deep M.
New member | Level 1

Erik,

I guess it's pretty safe for most attentive users, assuming no other automatic processes end up negatively affected.  There is nothing hugely wrong with having a shutdown feature, but it just doesn't seem all that necessary to me.

Shad Jen V.
Helpful | Level 5

I found this forum too looking for a feature to turn off my pc after I finish a nightlong dropbox synch. I'm uploading about 45gb worth of stuff and want to sleep. I also want this to turn off when it's done but not before. I don't like to leave my computer on as the baby sees the led indicator and starts pressing buttons. Also other obvious reasons....

Tige G.
New member | Level 1

This seriously needs to get fixed ASAP. I just got home and realized that my computer at work didn't finish uploading before it shut down. Now I can't work over the weekend unless I go back to the office. This is not the first, nor the second, nor the third time this has happened.

Chris B.109
New member | Level 1

I'd love a 'shutdown when synced' checkbox. I'm an editor and very often have to leave projects uploading at the end of the day before leaving the office for a few days at a time. It would be very helpful. 

Razvan Boxifier
Collaborator | Level 10

Anyone looking for "shutdown when synced" please send me an e-mail: [email removed as per Community Guidelines] and mention "Shutdown when synced" in the subject line. This is possible.

Tige G.
New member | Level 1

I would prefer that Dropbox prevent normal shutdown rather than require me to shut down my computer in a special way. Internet at my office is not particularly fast and I might not remember to check Dropbox sync status before shutting down, in fact that's what happens every time I go home and realize that dropbox didn't finish before Windows shut it down.

Gaetan S.
New member | Level 1

I would love this feature. I often start some photo export, has to guess how many time it will take, and schedule a shutdown of the computer after this time.

A real case solution would be;

• no automatic "shutdown once synced" option in preference. This has no sense.
  • So only one-shot, "man-triggered" feature
  • In the dropbox contextual menu, add an item "shutdown computer once synced" (could also be "hibernate on synced")
  • on completion, warn the user about a shutdown in 60 sec with a message ballon
  • if no user interaction, perform the action (shutdown/hibernate/...)

Johannes N.2
New member | Level 1

Would also love a feature like that. I prepare all my data for work at home and upload it via Dropbox. It has happend several times that i have forgotten to wait for the upload to be finished and was missing important files at work ...

NINeOneone
New member | Level 2

+1, would very useful feature. My case - I store all work files in TrueCrypt container which is saved in dropbox folder. When I finish work, I dosmount this contailner, so it becomes ready for sync. But it's more than 2GB size and it's annoying to wait until sync ends if I need work files at home. 

atemiwaza
Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox team are you listening? - surely it's an obvious option for people working on large projects. I want to let files sync and go to bed, not hand around or waste electric with a 2 hour upload/download.

a simple desktop shortcut or button in the dropbox menu will do it. It cannot be on persistently as dropbox does not know when the user is leaving the desk.

but a shortcut or button "goodnight dropbox" and walking away from the PC would be perfect!

At the moment I work around with a batch file to shutdown with a best guess timeout, but would be so much better built in.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Johannes N.2 New member | Level 1
    Gaetan S. New member | Level 1
    Tige G. New member | Level 1
    Razvan Boxifier Collaborator | Level 10
    Chris B.109 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?