cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why So Much Telemetry ?

Why So Much Telemetry ?

Threlly
Collaborator | Level 8

Hi All,

My Pi Hole is blocking an INCREDIBLE amount of DropBox telemetry, even more than Windows telemetry, and by a large margin.

So I have a few questions.

1. What is this telemetry for ?

2. What information is in there ?

3. Who gets to see it (ie, is it shared in any way with, let's say, advertisers)

4. Why is it being blocked by my standard Pi Hole list, what threat could it be ?

5. Where do I turn it off if I wish to ?

Cheers,

Threlly

53 Replies 53

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the nudge on this one, Gary.

I've sent you a ticket to the email address that's associated with your Community's profile so we can investigate further.

Whenever you get the chance, please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

GlynH
Helpful | Level 5

I'd like to know the answer/outcome to this as well.

I installed Pi-hole less than 3 hours ago and so far 208 blocked calls to telemetry.dropbox.com and a further 10 entries since I started this email!

It's a bit worrying when it doesn't appear in your own list of recognised domains and you don't seem to know what it is...

Thanks & kind regards,

-=Glyn=-

JingleDjango
Helpful | Level 6

I'm following this thread with interest.

edie828
Helpful | Level 5

I read the "fix" script.  No way am I equipped to figure this out.  Is there a plain English version that I can access?  My business is being severely affected by what I think this problem is.

When I try to download the attachment to the dropbox using the chrome extension (in ANY of my gmail accounts), nothing happens.  Everything was seamless and problem-free until a few days ago.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @edie828; thanks for joining our discussion here.

May I ask which exact version of Chrome are you noticing this on and if it persists after clearing your browser's cache? 

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

edie828
Helpful | Level 5

Version 85.0.4183.121 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey peeps, thanks for your additional reports. 

If you haven't already, could you submit a ticket to our team from this link, so that they can look into this with you?

If you have any trouble creating a ticket, just give us another nudge and we'll be more than happy to send you one. 

Keep us posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Threlly
Collaborator | Level 8

Hi,

Curious that this cannot be identified quickly.

The url and IP address belong to Dropbox.

The internal applications & security team should be able to say exactly what this telemetry is as a matter of routine.

Quite alarming that dropbox are not aware of what their own net facing interfaces are doing.

I don't need to remind anybody that this is essentially a matter of trust.

Best,

Gary

GlynH
Helpful | Level 5

Yeah I'm really concerned about this also. Seems like a deliberate attempt to ignore what I believe to be a fair & reasonable question.

For those who may be interested Pi-hole reports;

Top Blocked Domains
telemetry.dropbox.com 1958

It's currently #2 in the list after Amazon which is nothing to be proud about IMHO! 🙂

Bearing in mind I have not used Dropbox nor rebooted any machine it is installed on I find the amount of hits very concerning.

Should I just add it to my Blacklist? WIll this have any effect on Dropbox?

Can someone from Dropbox please step up, take ownership and at least have the common courtesy & professional integrity to reply rather than ignore please?

Thanks & kind regards,

-=Glyn=-

GlynH
Helpful | Level 5

And in just a day the queries to the super-secret-squirrel-site has now surpassed that of Amazon!

Top Blocked Domains
Domain Hits Frequency

If I hear nothing from Dropbox soon I'm going to consider it a bad actor and block it.

In fact I don't really use Dropbox much at all these days so I might just 'Drop' them altogether.

Such a pity I recently paid them $120 for another year...

-=Glyn=-

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Threlly Collaborator | Level 8
    jayjay1 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?