cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why So Much Telemetry ?

Why So Much Telemetry ?

Threlly
Collaborator | Level 8

Hi All,

My Pi Hole is blocking an INCREDIBLE amount of DropBox telemetry, even more than Windows telemetry, and by a large margin.

So I have a few questions.

1. What is this telemetry for ?

2. What information is in there ?

3. Who gets to see it (ie, is it shared in any way with, let's say, advertisers)

4. Why is it being blocked by my standard Pi Hole list, what threat could it be ?

5. Where do I turn it off if I wish to ?

Cheers,

Threlly

53 Replies 53

jayjay1
New member | Level 2
Any compliant company knows that data which is not aggregated, but grouped by user, regardless of what id is used for grouping the data, is subject to GDPR. Even anonymous data without id is subject to GDPR if it can be tracked back to a user. It is illegal to deny a user to opt out. It is also illegal to not ask for consent / enabled by default

Threlly
Collaborator | Level 8

So,

Pi-Hole users, are you still seeing Dropbox siphon off enormous amounts of your personal data to their servers with no option to stop it?

Are dropbox still refusing to address the issue correctly and to the satisfaction of their paying customers?

Do we know who Dropbox's GDPR Data Protection Officer is in the U.K/E.U?

Threlly
Collaborator | Level 8

Ok Dropbox.

The solution provided is not correct and not accepted.

In the current data climate there is no such thing as "anonymised", the collection of this telemetry alongside other metadata bought and sold in the marketplace makes this data totally identifiable.

The main problem is that we have no ability to control it.
Dropbox refuse to give us control of data they take from our machines.

This must stop.

Again, this issue is not resolved.

Threlly
Collaborator | Level 8

Again.

Issue is not resolved.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Threlly Collaborator | Level 8
    jayjay1 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?