cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Dropbox keeps stopping" warning when launching app on Android - reinstall did not fix problem

"Dropbox keeps stopping" warning when launching app on Android - reinstall did not fix problem

ssemel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a Pixel 4a (5G) running Android 12 with the most current system update (as of March 9, 2022). Dropbox has always worked flawlessly on this phone as well as my previous phones. Yesterday it stopped launching. When I tap on the app's icon I get the blue splash screen that I normally get when launching Dropbox, but then it vanishes and all I see is my normal home screen. If I continue to tap on Dropbox's icon, I eventually get a warning box that says "Dropbox keeps stopping" with three options available below the warning: "App info", "Close app", and "Send feedback". Dropbox works fine from my computer's internet browser. So I don't think my account is the problem - just the app on my cell phone.  I have plenty of available memory on the phone. 

I have sent feedback twice. I have restarted my phone. I have uninstalled the Dropbox app and then reinstalled it. I have cleared its cache. I have clear its user data. I have checked its permissions. I have tried to contact Dropbox help via Twitter. I have restarted the phone again. I am unwilling to factory reset the phone because nothing else is failing - just Dropbox.

Any ideas? I haven't see anything addressing this specific issue on these forums. Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ssemel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Solution from Dropbox support: install the updated app, version 270.2.4. Once I did that, the Dropbox app on my Android works normally again.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Debra B
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same problem on a Pixel 3A - Android 12, up-to-date as of the March 5th update

ssemel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Debra B:

Here is the solution that DropboxSupport on Twitter suggested for this issue:

Clear your cache on your Dropbox app on your device: - Go to the settings app on your home screen. - Tap on to "App & Notifications". - Tap on to "Apps". - Select the Dropbox App. - Once you are on the Dropbox App Info, Tap on "Storage". - On the Cache section press "Clear Cache".

Reinstall the Dropbox app: - Uninstall the Dropbox app. - Turn your device off  (power it all the way off) and on (do not restart). - Download and Install Dropbox. - Try to sign into your Dropbox account. If these steps make no difference whatsoever, we'd like to have one of our colleagues log a ticket for this on your behalf. In that case, we will need to know the e-mail address you use for Dropbox.

However, in my case it did not work. Therefore, they are opening up a trouble ticket for my problem, separate from the forum or the Twitter feed. I hope the above procedure works for you, but if not, you can contact @DropboxSupport on Twitter for further assistance. Best wishes.

Debra B
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yeah, didn't work for me either.

I am trying to get a ticket opened via their Twitter support, and I will be researching alternatives.

ssemel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Debra B:

Best wishes. I will post the solution I receive from DropboxSupport on this thread once I receive it and once it works.

nyardon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am experiencing exactly the same problem on my pixel4a after Android 12 March drop is installed.

Possible remedies mentioned here are all failing.

ssemel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Solution from Dropbox support: install the updated app, version 270.2.4. Once I did that, the Dropbox app on my Android works normally again.

nyardon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you.

I delinked my pixel4a from Dropbox account, use Dropbox app.  version 270.2.6 (from the app store), relinked my pixel4a, then it works normally now.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

nyardon New member | Level 2
    ssemel New member | Level 2
    Debra B Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?