Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Are Team folders visible to those who are not in the group I shared the folder with?

Collaborator | Level 8

I seem to have read conflicting answers to an important question: is a business team folder visible even to those not in a group that has been added to the folder? In one place I read that such team folders are completely invisible to account members if they are not in a group added to that folder. Elsewhere I read that all the team folders in a business account are visible to all account members, but are inaccessible (gray minus sign icon) to non-members of that team. Or maybe it used to be one way and now it is another.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: team folder visibility

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Jim, I think I replied to you in another thread!

I understand that this can be confusing, so let me clarify this for you. Currently there are two kinds of team structures being used by Dropbox Business teams, let’s just call them the old and new views.

In the old view, if a user isn’t added to a team folder, then they won’t see it at all.

In the new view, members can see all team folders, but get a gray minus symbol on the desktop for those they’re not invited to. On the site they appear with a blue gray symbol, and the text is grayer.

team folders new.png 

The easiest way to see which account you’re on is to check your files page and see if there’s a purple folder with your name on it. This would be the personal files section.

More information on the new structure can be found in this article. So far the new view is only available to certain teams.

Hope this info helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Jim, I think I replied to you in another thread!

I understand that this can be confusing, so let me clarify this for you. Currently there are two kinds of team structures being used by Dropbox Business teams, let’s just call them the old and new views.

In the old view, if a user isn’t added to a team folder, then they won’t see it at all.

In the new view, members can see all team folders, but get a gray minus symbol on the desktop for those they’re not invited to. On the site they appear with a blue gray symbol, and the text is grayer.

team folders new.png 

The easiest way to see which account you’re on is to check your files page and see if there’s a purple folder with your name on it. This would be the personal files section.

More information on the new structure can be found in this article. So far the new view is only available to certain teams.

Hope this info helps!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

Thanks Jay, that explains my confusion and clears it up. I'm puzzled by the vague reference to "only available to certain teams", never really stating which certain teams and whether one can choose which system to use. I can see some advantages to both, as well as some limitations. We currently have the "old" view. As I'm about to reorganize our company Dropbox file structure using team folders it would be good to know whether we will be required to change and/or allowed to choose one or the other view now, since it might influence our optimal folder structure and group assignments.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
We’re looking to bringing this to all Dropbox teams though there isn’t any date set as of yet for this change.

If you’re interested in the new teams, you can contact our support team for more information on this matter.

Jay

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

Thanks again, Jay. Reading the "team-space-overview" Dropbox article you referenced above was helpful, but brought up some questions as well.

It seems there are major differences between this and the Teams in the Dropbox Business account we have. First, no mention of Groups. It seems that members can be added to Team Folders as individuals. Second, it seems that strict inheritance has been relaxed: "By default, anyone with edit permissions to a folder has edit permissions to all folders inside that folder...*unless access to a folder is limited*." From this I interpret that a team member's access to a subfolder can be limited. Do I have this right? This is a major, and potentially very useful change!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Let me answer those queries of yours:
  • Groups still exist in this new team structure.
  • However, you can now add individual users to a team folder, whereas on the old structure you can only invite groups.
  • The old structure meant that if you had access to a folder, you were always able to view folders beneath it.
  • However, the new structure allows you the option of restricting access to subfolders.
  • You can restrict users either individually, or via an entire group (i.e. ‘New Employees’ should not have access to advanced sales figures, etc.). 
Hope this helps!

Jay

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

Thanks Jay, that really helps a lot. We've just ordered Business Advanced starting Oct 1st, so I'm counting on having the new Team Space environment then...it will make a major difference in how we structure and use Dropbox in our company! Some of the online chat support staff don't seem to be that well informed about the new team space view, so I'm not too confident about what we'll be seeing when the renewal occurs. Thanks again for the help!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
No problem, if you have any questions, feel free to poke us again here!

Jay

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

I just opened a Dropbox Business account for my small business, so I got the "new view". If I understand correctly, under this new view, there is no way to hide "private" folders (folders that are not shared to some users, like the "af" folder in your exemple)? They will see the folder with the minus symbol showing "No access".

I would highly prefer to simply hide from view folders that are private to internal users that don't have access to it, is this not possible?

Thanks

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi @MaximP, currently this isn’t possible to simply hide the entire folder.

Users will be able to see the folder name, but not be able to look inside it. 

If you’re concerned about the name of the folders themselves, perhaps it’s best to rename them to something innocuous like ‘Management Only - Finance’, instead of ‘Salaries and bonuses of the best employees’.

Jay

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?