Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

Disabling Selective Sync for folders isn't sticking

Explorer | Level 4

I use DropBox to store source code for Python development, and there are folders (eg. .tox/, __pycache__, etc.) that I don't want to sync between computers because they are frequently changing and can be regenerated quickly on each machine.

I manually find and disable these folders in Preferences -> Sync -> Choose Folders to Sync on each computer (sadly, there's no way to filter them globally by name), and I have to also go to the web site to delete the folders.

I'm finding that the settings to disable these folders gets reset frequently, so they start sync'ing again despite all the bother above.  That hadn't been a problem until the last week or so; is this perhaps a bug in a recent update?

8 Replies

Re: Disabling Selective Sync for folders isn't sticking

Dropboxer

Hello @wsanchez - welcome to our Community!

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your selective sync settings not sticking for some folders of yours. Let's have a look into this now!

As I'm not really sure what could be causing this, could you provide some the following information so we can investigate further?

1. Which exact version of our desktop app are you using? 
  2. What's the exact status of the desktop app when you notice this behavior?
  3. Do you happen to have any symlinks within your current setup that could be causing this? (you can find more information about them, the issues they can cause and how to find and remove them in the 7th step of this Help Center article)

It goes without saying that you can feel free to include any piece of information you find might help look into this! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

1. Version 85.3.138

2. Various.  It is currently synchronizing (because the other computer created a ton of files in the folder I'm trying to exclude), but it remains in that state post-sync.  I've tried re-marking the folders as disabled multiple times.

3. There are some symlinks within the .tox/ folder that I'm trying to exclude.  The folder itself is not a symlink.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information @wsanchez - it's most appreciated.

At first, it seems you're running a beta (or experimental) build of the Dropbox desktop application and since beta builds are still in the testing process, you could experience some hiccups or notice an inconsistent experience.

As a first step to isolate the issue here, I'd recommend installing our latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application.

Just make sure you've opted out of the "Include me in early releases" option in your settings on Dropbox.com as this will ensure that the application does not automatically update to the beta build after you install the latest stable build. Click below if you're unsure on how to do this: 

More information
  1. Log in to www.Dropbox.com using your web browser.
  2. Click on you account picture/avatar at the top right corner of the page.
  3. Click on "Settings".
  4. From the "General" tab, scroll down to the section titled "Preferences" and uncheck the box next to "Include me in early releases" if it is checked.

Then, use the following link to find the latest stable version's installer for your device's OS here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-84-4-170/td-p/375469

Once you install the stable build, it might take some time to re-index the files and sync any pending changes.

Do keep me posted on the results please.

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

Oh my, I forgot I had enabled the beta updates.  I'll try on a stable build and report back, thanks.

Explorer | Level 4

Still having issues with 84.4.170.  I select the folders to not sync, then I delete them in the web site, then when I run the software that scribbles more data into the folders, the selective sync settings for those folders go away.

Dropboxer

I see @wsanchez; thanks for the follow up!

As I'll need to have a further look into this with all of our tools at my disposal, would it be OK with you if I reached out to your Dropbox associated email address to work on this together? 

Walter

Explorer | Level 4

Yup

Dropboxer

Thanks for the speedy confirmation @wsanchez!

I just sent you a brief message so take a look at your email's inbox so we can dig deeper into this issue. 

Talk soon via email envelope

Walter

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Disabling Selective Sync for folders isn't sticking
8 Replies
1 Like
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post