Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Dropbox messed up my files

New member | Level 2

Is there a solution for dropbox messing up all my files between different folders? I uploaded all my documents-pictures etc to dropbox and now I can't find anything - all folders seem to contain random files from different projects and are missing the files I am looking for (that clearly could now be in any other folder). Would probably take me few days to re-organize this mess (also - I pay for my dropbox account, why am I now having to pay also in time to organize the mess the paid account has created me?) and really not planning to do it if I don't know that dropbox won't mess things up again. Anyone else having the same situation? Did anyone figure out a reasonable solution? 

4 Replies

Re: Dropbox messed up my files

Super User II

Don't upload folders through the website. Web browsers were never really designed for mass file uploads, and uploading folders (to any service) is problematic at best. It's always best to use the Dropbox app on your computer to upload, especially with large uploads or folders with a lot of content. Another advantage to the app is that it will pick up where it left off if the transfer is interupted, while uploads through the website need to be started from scratch.

Dropbox has no function to automatically reorganize your folders. Your best bet will be to delete the content from Dropbox and re-upload using the Dropbox app. If you have to upload through the website, do so in smaller batches.

Dropboxer

Hi @AnuIlves

Welcome to the Dropbox Community! We'd be more than happy to look into this with you.

If you're still having trouble, as a first step, could you let me know if the files are located in a shared folder? 

Also, are you by any chance using a similar third party app to sync or backup your files on your computer? 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hi, 

So I haven't used website to upload any of the files. I had an account, but since I wanted to store some of my additional data and didn't have enough room, I started a new paid account on my business name. After making a new account and logging into it, I moved several folders to dropbox folder on my desktop. The contents of these folders have somehow gotten mixed up and are in random places within dropbox.

Any idea what might be causing this? It's not a shared folder. To my knowledge I'm not using any other app to sync and backup my files besides dropbox.

Anu

Dropboxer

Hello @AnuIlves1

Can you check the events of your account and let us know how these actions show there? Clicking on the blue part of the event will give you the list of files included in the action the event is describing.  

Are the lists of files and actions you see in your events page correct? thinking face

Are these folders reporting to be selective sync conflicts by any chance? 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox messed up my files
4 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Looking for Dropbox Paper users

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post