cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Did you know you can get an answer in less than 2 hours? Try asking a question now!
8 Comments
5 Likes
Highlighted
Level 1

Dropbox says my hard drive is full, but it isn't

Using v9.4.49 on MacOS 10.11

Dropbox App in menu says harddisk is full, cannot sync.

Harddisk with Dropbox folder has 10.51 GB free.

Dropbox App menu says 9.7% of 1029.8 GB used

Dropbox Website user menu says 100.3 GB used of 1.01 TB.

So there is plenty of space.

I have the impression somewhere in the Dropbox Source Code 100 GB is hardcoded as limit.

This is a showstopper. Please fix.

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Super User II

Re: Dropbox says my hard drive is full, but it isn't

I have the impression somewhere in the Dropbox Source Code 100 GB is hardcoded as limit.

That is not true.

I don't think it waits until the drive is completely full. If you have more data to sync than the currently available space on your drive, it will show the out of drive space message.

8 Replies
Super User II

That is not true.

I don't think it waits until the drive is completely full. If you have more data to sync than the currently available space on your drive, it will show the out of drive space message.

Level 2

Getting a similar problem in Windows 7.  The popup message states that my hard drive is almost out of space (even though it has about 1 TB free), when what's really happening is that DrobBox's cloud storage is almost full.  These things are totally unrelated, and the error message is wrong. It's directly comparable to crying"My stomach is empty!" when your *stomach* is full but your *grocery bag* is empty.  It boggles the mind that DB's developers cannot tell the difference betwen DB's storage on their server, and how much disk space I have on my own machine.  FFS, people.

Super User II

You've not actually said what version it is SMc, however, thats definitely a bug as they've always been able to differentiate before now without issue.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 6

I just got the same message this morning and I have 287 G left.  Why am I seeing this?

Level 2

I have over 100GB space on my harddrive and i am getting a message from Dropbox that my hard drive is full and it will not sync. What can I do?  I have re-booted.

Level 2

WHAT'S THE SOLUTION????? I am reading alot of complaints and rebutles to the reasons why we are getting this.  BUT NO SOLUTION!  Hello, I use this for my business!  When this stops, my business stops!!!!  Can someone post a SOLUTION?

Level 2

No, no solution to getting around this problems was ever provided by anyone.
Dropboxer

Hey there @Rajstout - sorry to hear about this.

Could you send a screenshot of the problem to have a better understanding of the situation here please?

If I understand correctly and your computer's drive is actually full (not your Dropbox account), I would advise you to take a look at our Selective Sync feature which allows you to choose which folders to sync to a particular computer and is a great option if you'd like to free up disk space.

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. Thank you!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Welcome! If you have a question about Dropbox, you’re in the right place

Post your question or search for an answer, the community is here to help

Not looking for support? Explore other features of Dropbox

Learn more about the community

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post
  • Rajstout
  • rickdobbis
  • dropinthebucket
  • Walter
  • SMcCandlish