cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Blank login screen with newly-installed Dropbox on Windows 10

Blank login screen with newly-installed Dropbox on Windows 10

ddefailly
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi 

After installing Dropbox (Dropbox 58.4.92 Offline Installer) and launching it I am stuck with a blank 'Set Up Dropbox' screen, unable to provide credentials. Main screen says 'Waiting to be linked to Dropbox account'. This is a new Dropbox install on a new Windows 10 laptop.

After skimming through forums and this ressource I have made sure of the following : No proxies installed, Defender firewall turned off, no virus scan or anti virus active, Malwarebytes turned off, ISP router firewall turned off.

I am at a loss hoping someone can help me.

Thanks a million!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @ddefailly, thanks for reaching out to us on our Forum with this detailed description & all the troubleshooting youā€™ve done on your own so far! 

Now I understand that you may need some additional assistance, as youā€™ve already devoted some time in order to tackle this issue & for that reason Iā€™d like to have a closer look on your setup through our Official channel. In order to investigate having all our tools available, Iā€™ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email on my end, so as to check your configuration & work with you towards a fix.

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & Iā€™ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. Thanks again & Iā€™ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @ddefailly, thanks for reaching out to us on our Forum with this detailed description & all the troubleshooting youā€™ve done on your own so far! 

Now I understand that you may need some additional assistance, as youā€™ve already devoted some time in order to tackle this issue & for that reason Iā€™d like to have a closer look on your setup through our Official channel. In order to investigate having all our tools available, Iā€™ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email on my end, so as to check your configuration & work with you towards a fix.

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & Iā€™ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. Thanks again & Iā€™ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Waylonf
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Jane, I am having the same issue and have tried all the solutions I could find which includes all of the above steps as well as performing the advanced removal steps on your documentation.

If resolved please share the steps so that I can attempt to resolve my issue.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Waylonf, usually the blank Sign In screens indicates that thereā€™s something in your network that blocks the installation from being carried correctly. 

As youā€™ve already mentioned that youā€™ve performed some troubleshooting on your own though (which is very much appreciated & thanks for letting me know), Iā€™d like to have a closer look on your setup through our Official channel. In order to investigate having all our tools available, Iā€™ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email on my end, so as to check on one specific example. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & Iā€™ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. Thanks again for taking the time to drop us a line here & Iā€™ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

ddefailly
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
When initiating this ticket I was trying to connect from my office.

In the meantime, I tested logging in from home to check if the problem was router related.
It probably was as I didn't have the blank page problem at home.

Nevertheless I did not log in at home as I wanted to have it work at the office.

I replicated the settings of my router (same router, same ISP) at my office as at home (firewall off), to no avail.
I even put my laptop in the DMZ. Didn't work.

Finally I got it working by disconnecting my laptop and tethering it to my smartphone.
I got the screen as expected and connected.

I am now back on my ISP connection and it works.

There definitely is a design problem of your end. My setup is a plain vanilla ISP router modem with no specific setup.

Thanks anyway !

jbassett
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello

Same issue on Microsoft Windows 7.  Dropbox version 58.4.92.

Have tried on both Internet connection at work and at home.

Regards

Jason

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Jason (@jbassett), thanks for letting me know of the specifics in regards to you the issue youā€™ve faced installing Dropbox, letā€™s have a closer look together. 

If for any reason you werenā€™t able to complete the installation using our Standard installer, then Iā€™d suggest disabling any Security/Antivirus programs & give our offline installer a try: https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?plat=win&type=full (Windows). 

If this persists for you, could you also include the steps you've followed so far or if you've tried any of the troubleshooting posted by other Community members on the comments above, so as to make sure I'm following-up with you on the right thing? 

Please do keep me updated on the outcome on this discussion & thanks again for taking the time to try my suggestions. Looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

jbassett
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello Jane

So far I have uninstalled DropBox, Shut Down the PC, restarted PC and reinstalled DropBox using the offline installer link you provided. Antivirus was disabled during this reinstallation process.

Reinstall completed successfully and the "Set Up Dropbox" dialog window appeared, but it is corrupted (either shows as black or contains other artifacts).

I have tried minimizing the window and then showing it again but it is still corrupted so the username/password/sign-in buttons cannot be seen.

I have tried the sign-in procedure both on my work Internet connection and my home Internet connection.

Regards

Jason

jbassett
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello Jane

Just a quick update, I have managed to sign-in to DropBox by guessing my way through the sign-in screen (which I cannot actually see due to being either black or otherwise corrupted).  I referred to the same screens on another working computer to help.

It at least shows that it is just the graphical elements which are at issue, rather than the actual functionality.

Perhaps this will help with producing a fix.

Also please note that I tried resetting the IE browser so see if that would help with the graphics issue, as this did resolve a similar issue with Skype sign-in in the past.  Alas, it did not resolve he issue with DropBox.

Regards

Jason

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I appreciate your speedy reply Jason (@jbassett) & all the extra details on what the behavior looks like to you! Could you include a screenshot (omitting personal info) of the error message in your next post here, so as to have a clearer picture & further advise you on the matter?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to gather this info for me Jason & once I have these details, Iā€™ll check back with you in a bit more depth!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

marylynjimenezp New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    junryantecristo New member | Level 2
    jbassett New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?